Need help with graphing in Excel 2003

soarinjohn

Hello. I am fairly handy in using Excel but I am stuck on a graph problem.
I am essentially trying to graph a US yield curve that has the following x axis year points: 0, .08, .25, .50, 1.0, 2.0, 5, 10.0, and 30.0. When I create the graph using values for the y axis, the x axis is uniformally scaled such that my 5 year point looks like it is 2/3rd the way down the curve instead of where it would be... .16 down the path on the x axis. How do I control (or scale) the x-axis so the points plot where I want them instead of uniformly being distributed as is the default case. I do not want to create "dummy" interpolated points to trick the x-axis based on all the different ways I will be shaping the curves I need to graph.

Thanks in advance for the help.

John

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
You must have dates for the X axis. First make sure the cells contain dates and not text that looks like dates. Apply the general horizontal alignment to the cells, and if they are left-aligned, they contain text (numbers, including dates, are right aligned). If they have a date format, use Data menu > Text To Columns to convert this column of pseudo-dates to a column of real dates. In the last step of the wizard, select date for the target range format, then select the order of the apparent dates (MDY or whatever).

Now if you make a Line chart, the dates should be proportionally spaced. If not, go to Chart menu > Chart Options > Axes, and under Category (X) Axis, choose "Time Scale".

Once the values are true numerical dates, you could also make an XY chart, but the axis format will not be as nice.

You may also want to make a step chart instead of a regular line chart. If so:
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/ChartsHowTo/StepChart.html
http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/2008/05/23/line-chart-vs-step-chart/

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
b1step2far

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back