Debit and Credit Running Balance

karlruff

Board Regular
Hello,
Could anyone recommend a slick way of producing a debit and credit running balance for a double-entry bookkeeping account?

I envision four columns: debit, credit, debit balance, and credit balance.

The challenge seems to lie in cases where a debit is made that exceeds the former credit balance (or a credit is made that exceeds the former debit balance). In other words, a credit balance becomes a debit balance, or vice versa.

Thanks for the help

Excel Facts

What did Pito Salas invent?
Pito Salas, working for Lotus, popularized what would become to be pivot tables. It was released as Lotus Improv in 1989.
formula I had in cell D2 was (which didn't show in my previous post):

Code:
=IF(SUM($A$2:$A2)-SUM($B$2:$B2)>=0,0,SUM($A$2:$A2)-SUM($B$2:$B2))*-1

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem.......from above formula i am still confused....i have debit value and credit value it should get updated from opening value......if there is any credit then it should add and if there is any debit then it should deduct from respective opening value.

Waiting for your reply...!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
can you post the setup of your data and perhaps I can better assist you.

I am having the same problem.......from above formula i am still confused....i have debit value and credit value it should get updated from opening value......if there is any credit then it should add and if there is any debit then it should deduct from respective opening value.

Waiting for your reply...!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Brilliant! It helps me alot.
Kindly solve an another problem of mine, In the next cell of 'Balance' which have no value in 'Debit' & 'Credit' Columns, should not show the value in 'Balance'. Plz Help Me for this. Only Show value in 'Balance' when I have data in 'Debit' & 'Credit'. No need of drag the Formula just enter the value and get the result.
Like; If my Data is:
Debit
Credit
Balance

<tbody>
</tbody>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
kindly solve an another problem of mine, in the next cell of 'balance' which have no value in 'debit' & 'credit' columns, should not show the value in 'balance'. Plz help me for this. Only show value in 'balance' when i have data in 'debit' & 'credit'. No need of drag the formula just enter the value and get the result.
Like; if my data is:
debitcreditbalance

<tbody>
</tbody>
please answer this querry

Upvote 0
Hello, i want to create a customer debit and credit sheet but as in a little different way i want in a book form main page will be my customer name but if i click the any name of it then it will take me to that particular sheet of the customer how is that possible im just running a small business with lots of credit in it so i have to maintain it please help me

Upvote 0
Hello, i want to create a customer debit and credit sheet but as in a little different way i want in a book form main page will be my customer name but if i click the any name of it then it will take me to that particular sheet of the customer how is that possible im just running a small business with lots of credit in it so i have to maintain it please help me
1 more thing i want to add that i need customer on 1st column name and its balance on 2nd column

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thietbibeboiwasaco

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back