Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Struggling with VLOOKUP with multiple col_index_num to return text

This is a discussion on Struggling with VLOOKUP with multiple col_index_num to return text within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Hi, I'm really hoping somebody could please help me with this formula I've been struggling with all day and is ...

Question Struggling with VLOOKUP with multiple col_index_num to return text

Hi, I'm really hoping somebody could please help me with this formula I've been struggling with all day and is making me rather upset.
    This is the scenario: on Sheet1 I have a concatenated column (column A)with Fname + Lname and I want to match that same name to another worksheet (called 'lookup') and return the value that's in the header of that worksheet.

This is 'Sheet1' (I hid some columns)
    Concatenated Name
    column A

First name
    column C

Last name
    column D

Organizational Unit
    column G

Old Region
    H

Aftab C***AftabC***Region 6 - Field
    Albert H***AlbertH***Region 8 - Field
    Alexander S***AlexanderS***Region 1 - Field
    Allan B***AllanB***Region 5 - Field
    Andrea D***AndreaD***Region 4 - Field
    Apolinar V***ApolinarV***Region 8 - Field

Worksheet 'lookup'
    US_FS_CEUS_FS_CWUS_FS_MCUS_FS_NEUS_FS_SE
    Yichong L***Christopher S***Aftab C***Billy M***Robert D***
    David A***Michael L***John L***Hector F***
    Charles T***Jerel J***Christien D***Josue R***
    Houston L***Christopher S***Christien D***Hector F***

Example: =VLOOKUP(Sheet1!A2, lookup!A2:F500,) starting in H2

So, I want to search for 'Aftab C***' which is in Sheet1 A2 anywhere in sheet 'lookup' in the array A2: F800 and return the column header that it's in, which is US_FS_MC in cell H2 on Sheet1...

I would be very grateful if somebody could write the formula for me! I just can't figure it out and it's literally making ill.... I need to do this for work

Default Re: Struggling with VLOOKUP with multiple col_index_num to return text

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    So, I want to search for 'Aftab C***' which is in Sheet1 A2 anywhere in sheet 'lookup' in the array A2: F800 and return the column header that it's in, which is US_FS_MC in cell H2 on Sheet1...
    Hi & Welcome,

Just so I'm sure on what you are wanting to achive, You would want to search for a name in Sheet 1, that exists also in Sheet 2, and if a match is found what do you want ot return?

As in the above there is no header in Sheet 1 called US_FS_MC...

Please advise.
    enercheenhologoskaihoogosenprostontheonkaitheosenhologosnarchhnoogovkailogohnprvtonqeonkaiqeovhnologov

MrExcel MVP

Try...

H2, confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER, and copied down:

=INDEX(lookup!$A$1:$F$1,SMALL(IF(lookup!$A$2:$F$500=Sheet1!A2,COLUMN(lookup!$A$2:$F$500)-COLUMN(lookup!$A$2)+1),1))

Hope this helps!

THANK YOU, DOMENIC!! THANK YOU!! It works wonderfully... I could've never come up with this myself, you made my day!

One more quick question Domenic... Is it possible to add a wildcard to the formla when it's referencing the name. I noticed a few people have nicknames in parenthesis so the formula wasn't able to catch those....

If you could kindly show me how to do this that would be awesome!

Michelle

MrExcel MVP

I'm assuming that the nickname in parenthesis occurs after the name, and that the nicknames occur in worksheet 'lookup'. If this is correct, try...

=INDEX(lookup!$A$1:$F$1,SMALL(IF(LEFT(lookup!$A$2:$F$500,LEN(Sheet1!A2))=Sheet1!A2,COLUMN(lookup!$A$2:$F$500)-COLUMN(lookup!$A$2)+1),1))

...confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

Hope this helps!

Actually, this occurs on the 'lookup' sheet as 'Charles (Cappy) Plo**'....

Thanks!

MrExcel MVP

Try...

=INDEX(lookup!$A$1:$F$1,SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(Sheet1!C2&"*"&Sheet1!D2,lookup!$A$2:$F$500)),COLUMN(lookup!$A$2:$F$500)-COLUMN(lookup!$A$2)+1),1))

...confirmed with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

Hope this helps!

Hhmm... it didn't work. The value is skewed..

Maybe perhaps if I created a formula that deletes anything in parenthesis, then they would match. Just an idea... Thanks!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast