help with formula...weighted average

Davers

Is there anyway to make this formula more efficient? I'm working with weighted averages and this formula is in several hundred cells.....

(((SUM(F80:F81)*F82)+(SUM(H80:H81)*H82)+(SUM(J80:J81)*J82)+(SUM(L80:L81)*L82)+(SUM(N80:N81)*N82)+(SUM(P80:P81)*P82)+SUM(R80:R81)*R82)+(SUM(T80:T81)*T82)+(SUM(V80:V81)*V82)+(SUM(X80:X81)*X82)+(SUM(Z80:Z81)+Z82)+(SUM(AB80:AB81)*AB82))/SUM(F80:AB81)

Thanks,

Dave M.

Excel Facts

Difference between two dates
Secret function! Use =DATEDIF(A2,B2,"Y")&" years"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"YM")&" months"&=DATEDIF(A2,B2,"MD")&" days"
Since you are using SUM(F80:AB81) in the denominator, I assume that the alternate columns that are missing from the numerator are actually empty.

You might want to add an additional row, say 79 that contains the sum of 80:81. In F79, enter =SUM(F80:F81). Copy this over to AB79. Now, use =SUMPRODUCT(F79:AB79,F82:AB82)/SUM(F79:AB79).

In addition, if the 'hundreds' of cells all contain the same formula, leave that formula in only one cell. In all the others, use ={cell-with-real-formula}

Upvote 0
Thanks for responding, I will try referencing the cell, however, the skipped columns have formula's in them....here is a small section of my spreadsheet....
Dave'sQOS.xls
ZAAABACAD
810 0 0
850 0 0
2002 QOS Data

Is it still possible to reduce the formula??

Thanks again for all your help!!

Upvote 0
Repeating myself, the original formula contains SUM(F80:AB81) in the denominator.

If the alternative columns contain formulas that don't always yield zero, the original formula doesn't compute the weighted average.

The other suggestion about replacing each of the hundreds of cells with a simple formula pointing to the one cell that contains the real formula will simplify the worksheet dramatically. This remains true irrespective of the real formula that is ultimately used.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ak94

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back