Calculating daily interest on a credit card

mhuntoon

My wife and I have a few credit cards that are carrying balances. We want to get off the credit cycle and begin using cash only. As an educational experience for both of us, I'd like to add a cell on our budget worksheet that shows how much interest we are paying per day on a specific credit card.

For example, one card has a balance of $2,746.50. The interest rate on this card is 8.9%. We pay it online at varying intervals, not just the due date, so I'd like to see just how much these payments affect the amount of interest that is compounding every day. More than anything else, it's meant to be motivational so that when we update the new outstanding balance we can say, "hey honey, look, we were accruing $18.17/day in interest but now they're only getting $16.48 from us".

Anyone have any ideas?

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
For example, one card has a balance of $2,746.50. The interest rate on this card is 8.9%.
$2,746.50 * 8.9% per annum / 365 days a year = $.66 of interest accruing each day on this particular credit card.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertJones1986

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back