Specifying a Range and Inserting into Formula

kpluiten

Hello,

I'm sure this is something easy, but I've been working on it for a while now and I cannot seem to make any progress.

Suppose I have a column of numbers representing a pressure trace versus time. Basically, these numbers increase gradually until they reach a peak and then they decrease. I need to calculate the slope of this curve from 20% to 70% of the peak pressure acheived.

I can use excel to calculate both 20% and 70% of the peak pressure. I can even make excel return the cell address of those values in the column of data. I can then use the SLOPE function to find the slope over that range. Unfortunately, I cannot seem to nest the percentage calculations into the SLOPE formula in such a way that works. I need a range for the SLOPE formula, but I'd prefer to not have to specify each range by hand.

In the hopes of being clearer, consider this example:

The 20% value lies in $A$10.
The 70% value lies in $A$90.

I can manually type the range "$A$10:$A$90" into the SLOPE formula, but I was hoping for an automatice way of doing this.

I can show you what i've come up with so far, but A) it's long and involved and B) it doesn't work! Thank you in advance for any insight or things to search you can help me with.

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
I could use some help. I'm looking into a user defined function, but that is still a bit unclear to me.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back