Excel file - can't select cells, weird issues

rdw72777

I have a file I just received where I can't select cells and it seems like the file is trying to do soemthing with worksheets. Is there a way to undo setting when you first open a file without using a mouse/touchpad? I can't even use the control functions and can't figure out what is with this file.

Thanks

Excel Facts

Test for Multiple Conditions in IF?
Use AND(test, test, test, test) or OR(test, test, test, ...) as the logical_test argument of IF.
So I open the file, click on a cell, and then I can't click away from that cell. It treats it as if if I'm holding ctrl shft and highlight any section that I mvoe my pointer too. I also can't select andything else, either a new sheet or any of the dropdown, nothing works. No macros.

Something seems locked or anchored or something

Upvote 0
Cell freezes, workbook freezes

I posted this earlier, and am hoping someone has a solution. I know this belongs in the Technical Issues folder there, but so far there have been no responses and there are only 2 people in that forum, versus 350 in this forum. Please if MrExcel administrators can you leave this SOS in the main Excel forum for an hour or 2 at least, I desperately need help to fix this.

So if open or create a new file in excel, and then click in a cell, I can't click anywhere else (no other cells, no other tabs, no menu items or icons, nothing). I have tried undoing the scroll lock, but that doesn't do it. I have tried hitting SHift, Esc, Enter, F8 and nothing does anything.

I have tried to unplug my mouse, and the touchpad has the same issue. My excel is practically useless in this format and I can't find anything on the Microsoft website to fix this. I'm normally pretty knowledgeable with Excel but this one is crazy.

Any thoughts

Upvote 0
Re: Cell freezes, workbook freezes

have you tryed to put your excel **** in and use it to fix it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

lol... I'm assuming you meant disk, DiabloII, otherwise I'm not sure your suggested fix will work! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yes i did disk, LOL , some times it will, and some time it will not but it will not hert to try.

Upvote 0
Kristy,

I did see the other post you listed, and a few others. I tried following the "ghosting post that was linked to the link you sent, but it was written like an old email so I struggled to follow it.

Assuming this is a work computer, is m best bet just to have excel removed and re-installed. I worry this will require a full MS Office re-do but don't really know for sure. I only fear it due to the time it will take, but its worth it if it can fix the problem.

Thanks,

Upvote 0
Hello all,

So a happy day is upon us (me). Basically through an "over the hils and through the woods" review, I have figured out that my mouse is the actual culprit.

IT wnet through and tried everything and removed my mouse as a device and now using the touchpad everything works fine. The second I plug in my mouse (Logitech LX8 Laser) the problem comes back and effects botht eh mouse and touchpad. So basically, I think the mouse is somehow stuck in this funky mode and can't undo it, and I've clicked and unclicked every button on the mouse and hit the "reset" button on it too, with no luck.

Do a mouse dies, but my computer lives. A nice tradeoff. Interesting to hear if anyone ahs suggestions on saving the mouse. For now its just going in the bottom drawer....

Thanks for the help all!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alex78

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back