Improving VBA Efficiency when Copying

Joe4

MrExcel MVP, Junior Admin
Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Calling all VBA efficiency experts! Here is a multi-part question:

I have read that in speeding up Excel macros, avoid the use of “Copy” and “Paste” whenever possible.
For example, use:
Sheet2.Range(“B1:B200”).Value = Sheet1.Range(“A1:A100”).Value
Instead of:
Sheet1.Range(“A1:A100”).Copy Destination:= Sheet2.Range(“B1”)

My first question has two parts:
1. Can you do something similar when copying a whole sheet of unknown size to another sheet? If so, how?
2. Can you do something similar when just copying cell FORMATTING, not values? If so, how?

My second question is this:
I also read that putting “Application.EnableEvents=False” at the beginning of your code may speed it up. What does this do? What are “events”?

Thanks.

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
1 - If you mean usedrange (all sheets' sizes are the same: 65536x256!) then you can use usedrange.rows.count and usedrange.columns.count and then instead of Range("A1:A100")..., use Range("A1).resize(usedrange.rows.count,usedrange.columns.count)

If you have no code for events, then turning them off won't have any impact on thr running of your code. If you DO have them, then you know what they are!! For your info, however, they are things that nappen, like selecting a cell, changing to another worksheet, 3:45:07 "occurs", opening a rorkbook, calculating, changing a cell, etc. Code can be written to run before the event hapopens. Also BeforePrint, BeforeSave, beforeRightClick, and more...

Upvote 0
Bob,

I think you misunderstood my first question. Let me try again:

Using the code

Instead of

is more efficient and runs faster because you are not using the "Copy" and "Paste" commands.

That works great for copying a known range. However, let's says I want to copy a whole worksheet to another worksheet. I could do it with the following code:

Sheets("Sheet1").Cells.Copy Destination:=Sheets("Sheet2").Range("A1")

However, that uses the "Copy" command. I am looking for how to copy the worksheet without using the Copy command, like was done above in the example with the defined range.

Upvote 0
The 2 bits of code you posted do not do the same thing.

Copies/pastes values only:-

Copies/pastes everything (including formulas and formatting).

To paste the whole of a sheet to another sheet, the following code is not really so inefficient :-

Copy all :-
Sheets("Sheet1").Cells.Copy Sheets("Sheet2").Cells

Copy values only :-
Sheets("Sheet1").Cells.Copy
Sheets("Sheet2").Cells.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlValues

If you want to copy/paste values only without using the copy/paste commands, then it would be something like the following (similar to what B. Umlas suggested). It may or may not be more efficient, but any difference is likely to be immaterial :-

Dim rng As Range, ref$
With Sheets("Sheet1")
Set rng = .Range(.[A1], .UsedRange)
End With
ref = rng.Address
Sheets("Sheet2").Range(ref) = rng.Value

Upvote 0
Hello, I actually timed a few of these here. Please feel free to do likewise on your system, my results were the opposite of the original post's assertion.

This message was edited by NateO on 2003-02-12 20:16

Upvote 0
Hi jmiskey,

To address your second question, EnableEvents allows you to turn off normal workbook events during your procedure - it allows you to avoid messy recursions.

Try this:

In Sheet1,

<pre>Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Cells(1, 1) = Target.Value * 2
End Sub</pre>
In Sheet2

<pre>Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Application.EnableEvents = False
Cells(1, 1) = Target.Value * 2
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub</pre>

Enter the value 5 in any cell of both sheets.
Check the results in "A1".

Bob

Upvote 0
Ponsonby,

Is that a yes?

Upvote 0
Hello again,

What gives? Do you think this site is posting some bad advice?

I think it's a great site with a lot to offer, I've learned a thing or two or three from my visits and Dave's posts. And, I subscribe to the newsletter. In general, no, I don't think so. It's a great free resource.

This may be an outlier, I can't substantiate your original assertion no matter how I run the test, e.g., paste values in new workbooks/new modules (compiled/non -compiled), paste return times in columns or msgbox's, it's always twice as fast for me to do the opposite...

'Tis why having a having a timer, especially the high resolution Windows variety (versus Excel's eccentric idea of time), used in the linked thread, can be critical.

This message was edited by NateO on 2003-02-13 10:19

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
test111

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back