row autofit not working

soccerlemon

Excel 97--Okay, I know that row autofit won't work when there are merged cells in a row, and some have suggested that the row autofit doesn't work with various vertical alignment settings. However, I have no merged cells in the row, and I have tried every vertical alignment setting, and still nothing will autofit the row. I checked the exact height and it is still less than the 409 point maximum. So, I am at the end of my rope. I can't figure out what it is that is preventing the autofit row command from functioning. I can resize the row manually, but I shouldn't have to. I would be so happy if anyone can shed some light on this for me.

Excel Facts

Move date out one month or year
Use =EDATE(A2,1) for one month later. Use EDATE(A2,12) for one year later.
Had you previously sized the row manually?

Maybe try this:

SYMPTOMS
In Microsoft Excel, if you manually modify the height of a row, and you then format a cell in that row to Wrap Text, Microsoft Excel does not change the height of the row to fit all the text in the cell.

CAUSE
This problem occurs if you have manually modified the height of the row.

WORKAROUND
To adjust the height of the row to fit all the text in a cell, follow these steps:
Select the row.
On the Format menu, point to Row, and then click AutoFit.

Hope it helps,

Upvote 0
Thanks, Kristy! I know that the spreadsheet won't fit the text when the text wrap is on and the row height has been manually resized, but when I select the row and choose the autofit command, it still doesn't resize to show all the text in the cell. Any other ideas?

Upvote 0
How many characters do you have in the cell? Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 will display in the formula bar. So if you have more than 1,024, 1,025 and on will not display in the cell. That's Excel 2000.

Mike......

Upvote 0
Autofit the columns first. What in the @#$% that that has to do with autofitting rows beats me, but this solves it for me 99% of the time.

I should say that this works for me when row/autofit OVERSHOOTS (makes it too large). As to the UNDERshooting that you seem to be describing, there is a clear bug in XL2000 and possibly others causing that, which I can't elaborate on except to say that you're not alone. :(
This message was edited by Gates Is Antichrist on 2003-02-14 10:45

Upvote 0
So you've scoured the internet and finally here is the answer to your question!!

Ok, so you probably have all the rows/columns set to autofit. You probably have word wrap on. You've typed into a couple of cells and everything is going fine, until you type more text into another cell only to find the cell didn't autofit! What happened?!

The row or column with the cell that's not autofitting has more text than the previous cells. Here is what to do for either columns or rows. Put the cursor in between the column or row that has the cell in question, and the next column or row. The cursor turns into an up and down arrow with a horizontal line through it for rows, and left and right arrows with a vertical line for columns. With the cursor changed, click and drag up/down for rows, and left/right for columns to manually adjust the column width for that row until the selection fits correctly. Now highlight the cells, and click Format, and Autofit Width, and then do Autofit Height. That solves the problem.

Anytime the cells stop autofitting, just manually adjust the cell width/height and redo the autofit on the cells. Presto!

Upvote 0
I ran into this same problem with a spreadsheet that has many, many rows that did not autofit correctly - too many to fix manually. I had all but given up when I changed the zoom on my spreadsheet, from 80% to 100%, and poof! All the autofits fixed themselves.

Upvote 0
I have also found that in Excel 2003 if I have the cell formatted as text then autofit does not work, but when I change the formatting to general it does.

Upvote 0
Solution:Step one - add an extra row and merge the twoStep two - create a macro either in a button/label/sheet to instruct through VBARows("145:146").SelectRows("145:146").EntireRow.AutoFitI use this a lot. Came across the solution by chance.It's pain to add the extra row...but I've never come up with anything else.
I have also found that in Excel 2003 if I have the cell formatted as text then autofit does not work, but when I change the formatting to general it does.

Upvote 0
I had the same problem on some rows and tried the auto-fit ideas above but it still did not work.

I realised that I was trying to auto-fit a merged cell (columns C & D were merged) & hence this turned out to be the cause. Hence, auto-fit does not work on merged cells (well, for rows anyway).

I proved this by un-merging my cells and doing auto-fit = hey presto (!), auto-fit worked perfectly. And I then re-merged the two cells and again auto-fit ignored those cells in that row. Seems proof enough for me!

Hope this helps someone!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back