Excel files do not open with double-click

skahle

I seem to have broken something!. Whenever I double-click to open an Excel file (.xls files are associated correctly), Excel opens, but nothing happens. That status bar says "Ready," but my workbook never appears.

If I do a File-> Open within Excel, then I am able to open the workbook. I have no idea what is going on. This occurs for all Excel files whether they contain macros or not. Any ideas? This really sucks.

DreamAlchemist,

I had that exact same issue when I first installed 2007. After a few weeks, for whatever reason, it just stopped doing it. I have no idea why because I had given up on trying to correct it. Wish I could tell you what to do other than wait and hope it goes away!

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.
I have something similar. In 2007. I double click the file it starts up excel but no file. As soon as I click the minimize button the animation goes down to the taskbar but then maximizes right back up with the file showing. The ignore option mentioned above is unchecked and the files do not contain any macros.

Do you have any .xla add-ins in either of your XLSTART directories?

Upvote 0
If you move it out of XLSTART, does the problem go away? (addins don't really belong there anyway, and that is a common cause of this problem)

Upvote 0
Hi all,

Similar problems i have too. After using couple of months Excell 2007, started different workbooks open in the same window. Found in this forum how to solve it with DDE option, BUT after that double click on Excell file started open just main Excell window, but not file. If I'm uncheckung this option, double-click opens files, but in the same window :(.
In XLSTART folder was add-in Ptouch42.xla, i moved it from here.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back