Combined stacked and clustered column chart

winfreysa

I am trying to make a chart that is a combination of stacked and clustered columns. The table the chart will be based on is 12 rows x 5 columns. The column 1 contains month names Jan - Dec and will be the x-axis data. I want to show the data in column 2 and column 3 in a stacked column next to (clustered with) a stacked column of the data in column 4 and column 5 (for a total of 24 columns - 2 for each month). Right now I can get all the data in columns 2-5 stacked together in single columns (12 columns total) or the data in columns 2-5 in clusters of 4 separate columns (48 columns total). How do I tell Excel which column groups to stack and which column groups to cluster?

Thanks,

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
A little trick that I learned was to have one chart on top of the other. Just remove all of the legends and stuff leaving only the chart itself. Then set the fill color of the chart to trasparent. It works, but it requires constant maintenance to keep it looking right

Upvote 0
PLEASE, I BEG OF ANYONE....

Please someone, anyone, provide a resource/template other than the answer directly above which is the same spam answer that is posted everywhere online that a request for a stacked cluster column chart is posted!

Upvote 0
That's not spam. It is a step by step tutorial showing in detail how to build the chart. The data arrangement for anything beyond a trivial example is far too complex to put into a template, so you'll have to get your hands dirty, or make use of the charting utility.

Upvote 0
Nothing personal, but it seems to be more about selling the utility. However, I found a very simple way to accomplish what I needed to do. I simply made a stacked column chart with blank rows between the pairs that I wanted to appear as clusters. Very easy and looked exactly as I wanted.

Upvote 0
Actually, I am asked and I answer many more questions about the manual procedure than I sell licenses to the utility. The whole "secret" is the protocol you found: a stacked chart with a sparse data layout that puts columns where you want and blanks in between.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WORKINGWITHNOLEADER

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back