Combined stacked and clustered column chart

This is a discussion on Combined stacked and clustered column chart within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; I am trying to make a chart that is a combination of stacked and clustered columns. The table the chart ...

Default Combined stacked and clustered column chart

I am trying to make a chart that is a combination of stacked and clustered columns. The table the chart will be based on is 12 rows x 5 columns. The column 1 contains month names Jan - Dec and will be the x-axis data. I want to show the data in column 2 and column 3 in a stacked column next to (clustered with) a stacked column of the data in column 4 and column 5 (for a total of 24 columns - 2 for each month). Right now I can get all the data in columns 2-5 stacked together in single columns (12 columns total) or the data in columns 2-5 in clusters of 4 separate columns (48 columns total). How do I tell Excel which column groups to stack and which column groups to cluster?

Thanks,

Board Regular

Default Re: Combined stacked and clustered column chart

A little trick that I learned was to have one chart on top of the other. Just remove all of the legends and stuff leaving only the chart itself. Then set the fill color of the chart to trasparent. It works, but it requires constant maintenance to keep it looking right

MrExcel MVP

If you arrange the data properly, you can do it with one maintenance free chart. This page has a tutorial and a link to an add-in that does the hard work for you:

http://peltiertech.com/WordPress/clu...column-charts/
    Jon Peltier
    Peltier Technical Services, Inc.
    Try the Peltier Tech Chart Utility

kaw

Cool Re: Combined stacked and clustered column chart

PLEASE, I BEG OF ANYONE....

Please someone, anyone, provide a resource/template other than the answer directly above which is the same spam answer that is posted everywhere online that a request for a stacked cluster column chart is posted!

MrExcel MVP

That's not spam. It is a step by step tutorial showing in detail how to build the chart. The data arrangement for anything beyond a trivial example is far too complex to put into a template, so you'll have to get your hands dirty, or make use of the charting utility.
    Jon Peltier

kaw

Nothing personal, but it seems to be more about selling the utility. However, I found a very simple way to accomplish what I needed to do. I simply made a stacked column chart with blank rows between the pairs that I wanted to appear as clusters. Very easy and looked exactly as I wanted.

MrExcel MVP

Actually, I am asked and I answer many more questions about the manual procedure than I sell licenses to the utility. The whole "secret" is the protocol you found: a stacked chart with a sparse data layout that puts columns where you want and blanks in between.
    Jon Peltier

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others