How do I recover an Excel file that was saved over?

gli

Board Regular
This question may be in the wrong place, but I'm stumped. I had two files open in Excel 2007 yesterday morning. They were connected to each other through formulas. Yesterday when I shut down my computer I saved each file by clicking on the save button. No name changes or anything like that. This morning I go to open both of them and they are now the same file. Somehow one file got saved over with the other's data. Ack! I know I didn't use Save As so unless this was caused by a virus I don't understand how this happened. (It may have been caused by a virus - my anti-virus software found one earlier and quarantined it. That doesn't explain why everything else was left alone though.) At any rate, I need to see if I can recover the data that's missing.

I found an autosave version of the file after doing some research but I am unable to open this file. Each attempt causes the following error message: "Excel cannot open the file '******.xlsb' because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file." I've tried to open with Open and Repair but that tells me the file is corrupt.

I'm thinking there may be some utilities out there that can recover this file but I've not been successul in finding one. I downloaded a freeware utility but it just doesn't have the sophistication to do what I need it to do.

I realize that my predicament is more than just an Excel issue but I'm looking for some help in tracking down a solution. Life won't end if I can't recover this file but it sure would be nicer. Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Right click on the file in the directory, go properties/previous versions and see if you can find the version before yesterday

Upvote 0
Hii,
MS Excel File corruption is very difficult situation for every user. But it can be easily fix by using any third party MS Excel file repair tool.
If your Excel file is corrupted then it can show many errors messages on your windows when you try to open it.

These errors are

• "The file is corrupt and cannot be opened"
  • "error in module 1"
  • "unspecified error"
  • "undefined reference"
you can use any file repair tool to fix aany error of your ms excel file. So free download MS Excel file repair tool from othe internet and fix any errors of your MS Excel file.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JPav

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back