how to insert degrees, minutes, seconds into cell

kwitty

I'm doing a project for work that requires lat and long. It isn't a big deal if I were to enter the number as 351724.11548, but I just thought it would look better and be easier to read if it had the degrees, minutes, and seconds symbols after the numbers. Thanks in advance for any help!

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
You could divide your decimal equivalent by 24 and use a custom format like this: [h]°mm'ss\".

Upvote 0
i don't have that custom format on my list. is there another way to do it?

i've tried to type in the "%%D" to get the degree symbol, hoping that it would work like it does in microsoft word, but it doesn't

Upvote 0
disreguard the post above. i tried to edit it but it wouldn't let me

i don't have that custom format on my list. is there another way to do it?

however, i copied and pasted what you had written and i got it to come up. the only problem is that it isn't the correct number.

for example: i typed in =345631.028/24

then i pasted your format into the custom format box. but now the cell reads 345631 degrees 01 minutes 41 seconds. i need it to read 34 degrees 56 minutes 31.028 seconds. how do i go about doing that? thanks for the help

Upvote 0
i did copy and paste that. it worked, however it isn't giving me what i want in the cell. see my post above that describes what is going on when i do that.

Upvote 0
Use this custom format on the cell containing your number...

00"°"00"'"00.00\" (you can add more zeroes after the decimal if needed)

345631.028 should now show as 34°56'31.03"

Upvote 0
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum, although I've been meaning to come here for years, since seeing Mr. Excel on Call For Help or the Screensavers, back when we got it in the US.

I got to this thread through the search and am trying to accomplish the same thing. I am trying to simpify a form that our University put together for reporting on sites, with regard to septic system construction. It is an existing excel suite, but I would like to modify the cell that asks for Lat/Long. I tried to copy and paste the text in the thread, but souldn't get it to work for me.

I am not experienced with excel at all, so I may not be understanding the process to accomplish the ability to enter the data. Could someone help straighten me out?

My GPS actually gives me the location as: N 47 degrees (symbol) 13.382' x W 91 degrees (symbol) 54.862' - for example. I could do a conversion to minutes and seconds (which my surveyor buddy would appreciate, but my GPS won't let me switch out of the minute/decimal mode) mathematically. If anyone wanted to elaborate and help me get that conversion into the cell, as well, that would be swell, but what I really want to do is be able to enter the info without going to the Insert>Symbol>degree sign step.

Thanks,
Scott

Upvote 0
Here is my answers:

I will share this two formats that would help you:

1. Make six columns which represents, for example, Cell A1 enter degree number 86, Cell B1 for symbol of degrees click instert and click symbol to find the degree sign or press and hold ALT 0176, Cell C1 enter the minute number 35, Cell D1 enter the minute sign " ' ", Cell E1 enter second 49, and last Cell F1 enter the second sign " " ". So now, we will create like the format that you've expected: At Cell H1, here is the formula: enter =CONCATENATE(A1,B1,C1,D1,E1,F1), then it will apear like this: 86°35'49"

2. If you have an Azimuth of 124.38 degrees and convert it to DMS, here, at cell A1, enter that degree: 124.38, just follow this: At Cell C1, enter the formula =TRUNC(A1), next at Cell D1, enter this =TRUNC((A1-(C1))*60), and at Cell E1
=(A1-(C1)-(D1/60))*3600

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back