Conditional format if value contains *Text* (with wildcards)

L

Legacy 123760

Hello. I'm trying to set up a conditional format so my cells will be filled if the value includes a specific text string, but I need to use wildcards before and after the specific text string. In other words, if the cell value contains the text "my specific text", anywhere in the cell value, I want to pick this up and use the conditional format. Nothing I've tried works, such as Cell Value Is - Equal to - "*my specific text*", or '*my specific text*'. Any help is appreciated. If this info is already posted somewhere on this site, forgive me, I've looked for quite a while but as usual, I really need this now. Thanks a bunch!

Excel Facts

Copy PDF to Excel
Select data in PDF. Paste to Microsoft Word. Copy from Word and paste to Excel.
Oh, I spoke too soon... It appeared to work, but the 'formula is' triggers the conditional formatting for every cell, because the cell itself uses an IF formula where the *text* is part of the value if IF is not true, which calculates the actual cell value based on several other things... so, the *text* is always part of the formula. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0
Oh, I spoke too soon... It appeared to work, but the 'formula is' triggers the conditional formatting for every cell, because the cell itself uses an IF formula where the *text* is part of the value if IF is not true, which calculates the actual cell value based on several other things... so, the *text* is always part of the formula. Does that make sense?

Unless the formula returns "text", CF should not apply if the formula itself has the word text.

What is "based on several other things"?

Upvote 0
This is the actual formula, with Sheet2!$B$7 being the piece of text that includes my desired *text* to trigger the CF. I changed the formula and the *text* now applies when ISNA=True. =IF(ISNA(INDEX(Sheet3!$A:$F,MATCH(C2,Sheet3!$A:$A,0),MATCH($E$1,$1:$1,0))),Sheet2!$B$7,(INDEX(Sheet3!$A:$F,MATCH(C2,Sheet3!$A:$A,0),MATCH($E$1,$1:$1,0))))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back