Formula fill handle doesn't auto-fill properly when data column is part of pivot table

This is a discussion on Formula fill handle doesn't auto-fill properly when data column is part of pivot table within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Hello All, I'm trying to use the Auto-Fill handle to copy a formula down a column and it's not filling ...

Board Regular

Default Formula fill handle doesn't auto-fill properly when data column is part of pivot table

Hello All,

I'm trying to use the Auto-Fill handle to copy a formula down a column and it's not filling the formula down each row incrementally. Instead, it's copying the EXACT formula using row data from the original location of the formula.

In the example below, the formula I used for the first row with "Blue" (highlighted in green) says "=Amount x total" or..

Code:
    =B3*GETPIVOTDATA("COLOR",$A$1,"COLOR","Blue","Amount",100)
    so, the formula for the "Blue" row is correct. But when trying to use the fill handle to copy the formula to the "Dark Blue" row (highlighted in red), the formula is still basing its data on the "Blue" row and NOT the "Dark Blue" row as it should. Here's the formula it copied down to the "Dark Blue" row..

Code:
    =B4*GETPIVOTDATA("COLOR",$A$1,"COLOR","Blue","Amount",100)

However, if I do the "Dark Green" row manually by putting in the formula

Code:
    =B5*GETPIVOTDATA("COLOR",$A$1,"COLOR","Dark Green","Amount",100)
    The formula works correctly (without using the auto-fill).

Does anyone know what's wrong here?

COLORAmountTotal
    Blue$100.001$100.00
    Dark Blue$100.003$100.00
    Dark Green$100.003$300.00
    Dark Red$100.003
    Green$100.001
    Light Blue$100.002
    Light Green$100.002
    Light Red$100.002
    Red$100.001

Thanks

Default Re: Formula fill handle doesn't auto-fill properly when data column is part of pivot table

Do one of two things: don't use GETPIVOTDATA function, or, when using it, reference the first column that contains the string. String literals won't get auto-filled like you intended.

Board Regular

Default Re: Formula fill handle doesn't auto-fill properly when data column is part of pivot table

iliace (or anyone else)

Is there a "Sub" equivelant that will do this for me? I'm really looking for code to automate this.

If not, could you provide an alternative formula that will fill down like I want it to?

Thanks very much for the reply iliace

Thanks

I don't understand the question. This can be dragged down:

=B4*GETPIVOTDATA("COLOR",$A$1,"COLOR",A4,"Amount",100)

Board Regular

If I drag down from dark blue to dark green, the total is still "100", it should be "300". I'm sure that I'm missing something here, I just don't know what it is.

Thanks

Well, I certainly have no idea since I can't see it.

Board Regular

iliace,

You are 100% correct! I must've entered it in wrong the first time, so this time I copied your formula and dragged it down. Works beautifully! Exactly what I wanted!

Thank you thank you!

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others