Run macro after dropdown selection is made

shane_aldrich

Board Regular
Hi all...

I am creating a report compiler of sorts. There is a tab named Directions. After users hit a button a macro is ran, and the result is the user is prompted to make a selection from the dropdown list in Cell D15 of the Directions tab....

The entries in the dropdown will change all the time....

Regardless, after the selection is made, I would like the next macro to automatically run....(It will always be the same macro)

I tried running the macro based on a cell change, but for some reason that doesn't work with dropdowns...

And because the entries in the list changes, I don't know how to assign a macro to each entry

I hope this is clear...

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Welcome to the Board!

A Change event will respond to a Data Validation change.

From there you can use a Select Case structure to test which value has been selected.

Here's a boilerplate example:

<font face=Calibri><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_Change(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> Target <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range)<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Code goes in the Worksheet specific module</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> rng <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Set Target Range, i.e. Range("A1, B2, C3"), or Range("A1:B3")</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> rng = Target.Parent.Range("xxx")<br>             <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Only look at single cell changes</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Target.Count > 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Only look at that range</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Intersect(Target, rng) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Action if Condition(s) are met (do your thing here...)</SPAN><br>            <br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br></FONT>

Hope that helps,

Upvote 0
I admit to being a VBA dullard, I tried using what you posted but am doing something wrong, so I created an example

The file is named - Sample
There are 2 tabs - Directions, Raw1

Using Excel 2007 I posted this in the "ThisWorkbook" section

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim rng As Range
Set rng = Target.Parent.Range("Directions!D15")
If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
If Intersect(Target, rng) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Application.Run "Sample.xls!Macro1"
End Sub
' Macro1 Macro
Sheets("Raw1").Select
Range("A1").Formula = "=1+1"
Range("A2").Formula = "=2+2"
End Sub

Cell D15 on the Directions Tab is a dropdown based on cell validation...

They are in a YYYY-MM format, but the dates will change based on the raw info...

2009-11
2009-10
2009-09

Upvote 0
Try referring to the target reference like this:

Set rng = Target.Parent.Range("D15")

You don't need the sheet name, as it's a sheet level event, so the VBE knows where it is. And the correct sheet/range referecence for other things in VBA would be like this:

Sheets("Directions").Range("D15")

It's different than a formula based reference (unless you're using the Goto Reference method).

On a side note, I find that adding MsgBox "something" to events you expect to happen is a good testing method.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melvetica

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back