Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

grades computation

This is a discussion on grades computation within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; how can i make a worksheet/formula that automatically look for the equivalent score in a given transmutation table. example: i ...

Default grades computation

how can i make a worksheet/formula that automatically look for the equivalent score in a given transmutation table.

example: i have an exam of 10 items, what will be my formula to so that it will automatically look for the equivalent score under the transmutation table of 10 items

MrExcel MVP

HI - welcome to the board.

vlookup() might be what you need. care to post back with a few more details about where your data is, what vvalue(s) you're looking up...an example would help

paddy

Default grading system

thanks paddy

lets say

a b c d e
    name score quiz 1 equivalent score quiz 2 equivalent
    (10) (50)

aaa 10 100 50 100
    bbb 9 90 55 98
    ccc 5 70 30 80

note:

scores on quiz and quiz 2 have different no of items, 10 & 50 respectively

the transmutation tables can be anywhere within the worksheet. or can i place it in a different worksheet?

bad format on the screen..... how can i have it view properly. (columns and rows)?

MrExcel MVP

Hi kinalas:

This is how your table looks like ...

******** ******************** ************************************************************************>
    Microsoft Excel - Book2___Running: xl97 : OS = Windows 98
    (F)ile (E)dit (V)iew (I)nsert (O)ptions (T)ools (D)ata (W)indow (H)elp (A)bout
    =

A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    namescorequiz1equivalentscorequiz2equivalent
    aaa1010050100
    bbb9905598
    ccc5703080
    Sheet2*

[HtmlMaker 2.20] To see the formula in the cells just click on the cells hyperlink or click the Name box
    PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS TABLE IMAGE ON SAME PAGE! OTHEWISE, ERROR OF JavaScript OCCUR.

Now in spreadsheet terminology, what are you trying to lookup, match, index, or compute?
    Regards!

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.
    Energy Efficient Building Network LLC
    www.energyefficientbuild.com

thanks yogi

i'm actually trying to figure out how to get the equivalent without having to manually look at the transmutation table

i guess i have to use vlookup but dont figure out how to enter the right formula

MrExcel MVP

Hi Kinalas:

If the table above correctly depicts your data, can you clearly describe what is it that you are trying to accomplish.

The VLOOKUP function uses a lookup value that must be in the first field of the lookup table, and then finds the value of interest from a specified field corresponding to a row that the lookup value lies in or does not exceed. It is easier to use the VLOOKUP function than it is to describe.

So please post back with a clear description of what you are trying to accomplish -- and then let us take it from there.
    Regards!

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.

thanks!

the values you see in the equivalent columns are the sample desired output based on a transmutation table or range of raw scores

for example: if the quiz score is 9-10 the equivalent is 100... and so on..
    so i will be having multiple tables and equivalents depending on the number of items of the quizzes.

dont know if can combine combining vlookup with @if but theres a limit on the formula (@if(no.of items=10,vlookup(???????

i think i still have to enter the number of items maybe above the entry of the quizzes to serve as the reference of vlookup.. :idea:

[/list]

MrExcel MVP

Hi kinalas:

If I have understood you correctly, the following simulation should be of interest to you ...

******** ******************** ************************************************************************>
    Microsoft Excel - Book2___Running: xl97 : OS = Windows 98
    (F)ile (E)dit (V)iew (I)nsert (O)ptions (T)ools (D)ata (W)indow (H)elp (A)bout
    =

A
    B
    C
    D
    E
    F
    G
    namescorequiz1equivalentscorequiz2equivalent*9.1
    ccc5703080*100
    bbb9905598**
    aaa1010050100**
    Sheet1*

[HtmlMaker 2.20] To see the formula in the cells just click on the cells hyperlink or click the Name box
    PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS TABLE IMAGE ON SAME PAGE! OTHEWISE, ERROR OF JavaScript OCCUR.

if cell G1 houses 9.1, then the formula in cell G2 is ...

=INDEX(C1:C4,IF(INDEX(B1:B4,MATCH(G1,B1:B4))
    Does it help?
    Regards!

Yogi Anand, D.Eng, P.E.

nope!

the result should be in the columns for equivalent. say if the quiz score is 10 then the equivalent should be 100.

the transmutation table look like this (for quiz of 10 items)

score equivalent

9-10 100
    8 95
    7 90
    6 85
    4-5 80
    1-3 70

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others