Stretch fonts taller?

This is a discussion on Stretch fonts taller? within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Is it possible to stretch fonts taller? I'm working on a SSCC project and I'm facing an interesting problem: I've ...

Board Regular

Default Stretch fonts taller?

Is it possible to stretch fonts taller?

I'm working on a SSCC project and I'm facing an interesting problem: I've got some barcode cells in my workbook and the standards state that the barcode must include 20 characters and should be at least 27 mm tall.

However when I grow the font size to as big as possible (= as wide as possible), the height is only 25 mm so it looks like I'd have to stretch the font height by 2 mm or more.

I know you can do that in other programs but is it possible to stretch fonts in Excel?

Default Re: Stretch fonts taller?

I could be wrong, but I don't believe Fonts can be stretched to distort the aspect ratio.

What exactly do you mean that you have "grown the font size as big as possible"? In most cases, you can type in a font size larger than the max size in the drop-down. Even though Excel allows a max font size of 72, you can type in larger sizes than this, like 150.

On the other hand, this also makes the font very wide, also... so perhaps you want to alter the aspect ratio. Here is something to consider, it won;t work with standard fonts, but for barcodes, it is pretty good.

Duplicate the text in two cells, one above the other other (use =a1, or equivalent). Then set the Upper cell to have a vertical alignment of Top, and teh lower cell to have a vertical aligmnet of Bottom. Next, reduce the height of both rows, until the "tex" merges, top to bottom at the cell boundary. You will probably want to play with this, to prevent too much overlap... you also need to turn off your grid-lines. Ultimately, you should be able to double the height of the barcode without making it any wider...
    (XL2010 on Windows 7 Professional SP 1)

H0mogenized pasteurized milk from confinement animals, and butter, cheeses, and yogurts made from such milk, may look the same and carry the same name, but the inference that they are the same as [raw unpasteurized milk from pasture-fed cows] is part of the insidious deception that has been perpetrated on (us) the consumers of industrialized food.

-Ron Schmid, "The Untold Story of Milk"

Board Regular

Thanks for the tip. I was actually thinking of doing just that if nothing else works out - except that I was thinking of aligning the top one to the bottom of the cell and the lower one to the top so that they'd seem to be one single cell when you print it to the sticker.

If only there were more room in the stickers I would've used 120 or something to print them big enough but unfortunately if the font size goes over 80 the barcode becomes too wide to fit in the printing area & if you miss the beginning / end signs of the code the rest will be unreadable to the scanners.

Board Regular

HTH
    Brian.

- Posting guidelines, forum rules and terms of use

- Try searching for your answer first, see how

- Read the FAQs

- List of BB codes

Xl 2007 & 2010 Win 7

Quote Originally Posted by Misca View Post
    except that I was thinking of aligning the top one to the bottom of the cell and the lower one to the top so that they'd seem to be one single cell when you print it to the sticker.
    That was my first thought also, it makes logical sense, however, Excel maintains a margin at the TOP when aligned to the top, and the reverse when aligned to the bottom. So when you align as you propose (which I tried), you actually end up with a gap between the text, no matter how you adjust the row height. You need to reverse the alignment, as I described, in order to achieve the effect you are looking for.
    (XL2010 on Windows 7 Professional SP 1)

H0mogenized pasteurized milk from confinement animals, and butter, cheeses, and yogurts made from such milk, may look the same and carry the same name, but the inference that they are the same as [raw unpasteurized milk from pasture-fed cows] is part of the insidious deception that has been perpetrated on (us) the consumers of industrialized food.

-Ron Schmid, "The Untold Story of Milk"

Board Regular

Thank you. Works like a charm with the settings you suggested!