DTPicker2 in Windows 7

MrDoc

Hello,

I have a dual OS, so I can chose from boot manager if I want to run Windows XP or Windows 7. Each of them is installed in a different HD and I have no problems at all running either one.

In XP I still use Office 2003, and in some Excel workbooks I use DTPicker2 without any problem. But when I open the workbooks in Windows 7 using Excel 2007 the DTPicker2 control doesn't work, an error message pops up "Object doesn't support this property or method". This happens when I click the macro button that activates DTPicker2. Even before that, the control has no date but a red big X on its place.

After some research, I found out that DTPicker2 is no longer part of Microsoft Command Controls, so it must be manually installed. Following Microsoft instructions, I downloaded mscomct2.ocx and copied it to \Windows\System32. Then I tried to register it using "regsvr32 mscomct2.ocx" and it failed with the message "The module mscomct2.ocx may not be compatible with the Windows version you're running. Check if the module is compatible with an x86 (32 bit) or x-64 (64 bit) version of regsvr32."

It seems I can´t install this ActiveX control in Windows 7. However, I read posts of Excel users who are running DTPicker2 on W7 without problems. And also running DTPicker2 with Excel 2007 without trouble.

The MS site when the module can be downloaded doesn't give a clue about installing it on W7. I don't have any idea on how to check wether it is 32 or 64 bit, but I guess it must be 32...

I know this question is more about W7 then Excel, but as I can't find any help on W7/Excel/DTPicker2 and I assume that other members of this forum might also have had this problem, I'm asking for help, if anyone has a clue on how to solve the problem, considering the use of DTPicker with Excel 2007 and with Windows 7, and also that I removed the module from Windows XP System32 to prevent any possible conflict, but to no avail, so I installed it again, and it still works fine with Excel 2003 on Windows XP.

Also, I really need DTPicker2, not Calendar Control or similar modules. It has a nice drop-down feature and... I would have to change many scripts to replace it with anything different.

Thank you for any help.

MrDoc

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
FWIW I can use Microsoft Date and time Picker Control 6.0 (SP6)
Mscomct2.ocx dated 9/3/2004
Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
Excel 2000

I seem to have 2 versions of regsvr32.exe dated 14/7/09 (new PC *December* 2009)
19k c:\Windows\system32
15k c:\windows\sysWOW64

I suggest you find yours and put the full regsvr32 path when running.
Please let us know how you get on.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
BrianB,

Thank you for your reply. I'm using the same versions of mscomdt2.ocx and both regsvr32 files in the same paths and with the same sizes you mentioned. I tried using the full path for System32 and either the same error message popped up or no message at all. In both cases, the control couldn't still be found in Excel 2007 Developer tab to Insert more controls.

I also copied the control to syswow64 and used the full path to the regsvr32 file (in syswow64 this time). An error message popped up stating that the module was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0x8002801c .

BTW, I use Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

It seems I'm still stuck... but at least now I know that you can use DTPicker2. Do you or anyone else have an idea of what might be wrong / missing in my system?

Thanks and regards.

MrDoc

Upvote 0
I am stumped too. Could try uninstall
REGSVR32 /u C:\Windows\System32\Mscomct2.ocx (or whatever)

and then instal again.

It may work OK on my system because I use MS Visual Basic 6.0 - which could have installed it. (It looks like SP6 in the Excel toolbox title refers to this)

On poking around VB6 SP6 found a .cab file with .inf and .ocx 662,288 09/03/04 16:45:42

SP6 itself is dated 10/3/04

The contents of the .inf file (just an ordinary text file with .inf suffix)
Code:
; INF file for MSCOMCT2.ocx

[DefaultInstall]
CopyFiles=install.files
RegisterOCXs=RegisterFiles

[DestinationDirs]
install.files=11

[install.files]
MSCOMCT2.OCX=MSCOMCT2.OCX

[RegisterFiles]
%11%\MSCOMCT2.OCX

[MSCOMCT2.OCX]
file-win32-x86=thiscab
RegisterServer=Yes
FileVersion=6,1,97,82

[version]
signature="$CHICAGO$"
AdvancedINF=2.0

[SourceDisksNames]
1="default",,1

you might (at your risk) like to have both files in he same folder and I think you can run the .inf file by double click. I do know .inf files are used to install hardware drivers.

Upvote 0
Brian,

Thank you again for your suggestions. I'll try them. I'm running just a clean W7 version, no MS Visual Basic, but that shouldn't be necessary...

Can you please tell me:

1. Where you have the .ocx module, in system32 or sysWOW64?
2. Which of the REGSVR32 commands you used, the one in sysWOW64 or the one in System32?
3. What's the name of the control in Excel 2007? (Microsoft Date and Time Picker 2)?

In the meantime, I copied the .info file you kindly provided to system32 and tried to register thye.ocx module, but the error message came up again.

Regards,

MrDoc

Upvote 0
Thank you, Brian.

I managed to register the .ocx module after many tries.... and it finally showed in the Developer tab, More Controls. It works fine on a new Excel 2007 Workbook, yet the "old" DTPicker I have in a WorkBook created with Excel 2003 (Windows XP) doesn't work when loaded to Excel 2007. It's covered by a big red X, and sometimes the Workbook even freezes when I run the start macro that was supposed to enable the control and set its date. I'm still working on this, but a possible solution would be to replace the DTPicker with the new version (Microsoft Date and Time Picker Control 6.0 (SP6) ).

In Excel 2003 (Windows XP) the same Workbook has no problems at all, namely with the "old" DTPicker.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

MrDoc

Upvote 0
I now use the new dtpicker version, but everytime I reopen the workbook the control is replaced by a big red X, even in Workbooks created with Excel 2007 under Windows 7!
I've no clue why this happens. It's impossible to use it. Anyone can help me here, please?

Also, the first time I place a dtpicker in the worksheet, it will jump next to A1, no matter where I placed it. I have to minimize the workbook and then it goes back to where I initially placed it. Weird. But that's secondary, solving this problem would only be of interest if the first one could be solved...

Regards,

MrDoc

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back