How to create a function or sub to handle hysteresis

mathisp64

Greetings Everyone,
This is my first post. I have used Excel functions for sometime, but I am new to VBA programming. I mostly use Excel for electronic circuit equations and converting raw test data to useable data that can be plotted.

I have question regarding programming a hysteris function or sub. The problem is: Cell A1 is assigned a value of 0% until Cell B1 is equal to or greater than 2%. Cell A1 will remain 1% until Cell B1 is less than 1%, below this value cell A1 returns to a value of 0%.

I can't find a way to directly input an Excel function into a cell for this problem. I wrote a simple VBA sub that partially works, but just isn't cutting it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Excel Facts

How to find 2nd largest value in a column?
MAX finds the largest value. =LARGE(A:A,2) will find the second largest. =SMALL(A:A,3) will find the third smallest
I think this works. You'll have to test it out.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Target.Row = 1 And Target.Column = 2 Then 'B1 is what changed
        Dim dPreviousValue As Double, _
            dNextValue As Double
        dNextValue = Me.Range("B1").Value
        Application.EnableEvents = False
        Application.Undo
        dPreviousValue = Me.Range("B1").Value
        Application.Undo
        Application.EnableEvents = True
        If dPreviousValue < 0.02 And dNextValue >= 0.02 Then
            Me.Range("A1").Value = 0.01
        ElseIf dPreviousValue >= 0.01 And dNextValue < 0.01 Then
            Me.Range("A1").Value = 0
        End If
    End If
End Sub

Upvote 0
You can solve this with a simple formula and iterative calculations. First enable iterative calculations (in 2007 Office button | Excel Options | Formulas | Calculation Options section. Select 'Enable iterative calculation' and set Max Iterations to 1.

Now, in A1 enter the formula =IF(A1=0,IF(B1>2%,1,A1),IF(B1<1%,0,A1))

In 2003 or earlier see Tools | Options...

Greetings Everyone,
This is my first post. I have used Excel functions for sometime, but I am new to VBA programming. I mostly use Excel for electronic circuit equations and converting raw test data to useable data that can be plotted.

I have question regarding programming a hysteris function or sub. The problem is: Cell A1 is assigned a value of 0% until Cell B1 is equal to or greater than 2%. Cell A1 will remain 1% until Cell B1 is less than 1%, below this value cell A1 returns to a value of 0%.

I can't find a way to directly input an Excel function into a cell for this problem. I wrote a simple VBA sub that partially works, but just isn't cutting it.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
Thanks for both replies. Changing the iteration to 1 allowed the Excel function to work. The VBA code will probably work also, but I failed to mention that I am using worksheet four which I name N2GOV. Since I'm new to VBA it is excellent opportunity for me to go back and and figure out the code changes needed to make it work. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Since I'm new to VBA it is excellent opportunity for me to go back and and figure out the code changes needed to make it work.

Excellent. I like seeing this. Welcome to the board. ;)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shantanu2024

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back