Multi-level dependent lists

aussiemate

Hi,

I need to set up an excel sheet with dependent data validation that is multiple levels deep.

ie. Select value from dropdown list in Col A returns dependant list in Col B, select value from the list in Col B returns list in Col C etc.

Is this possible?

Also, is it possible to set multiple values to return the same list? ie in the drop down you have 4 items. Each returns a dependent list but items 1 and 3 both return the same dependent list. Just saves me making many copies of the same list with different names which isn't a huge issue.

Really appreciate any help you can provide.

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Upvote 0
To answer your 2nd question, you can give the same "list of values in the same cells" multiple names, I do that frequently for things like this.

Upvote 0
My fatal flaw, I was putting =indirect(a2) into the cell value not clicking data validation again! Silly me! Thanks a bunch!

The macro sounds great too! If I'm setting up a database and it has many rows of the same data validations as above, and I use that macro, will it only clear the later dependent cells in the specific row?

Edit: Just a note of a crosspost to:http://www.excelforum.com/excel-general/719517-multi-level-dependent-lists.html#post2260551 pretty much solved though! In like 10 mins! Whoo!

Edit: I'm lost with the marco. No clue how to get it on my document. Do you happen to have an awesome macro help file too? ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is the sheet-event macro in use on the sample workbook:
Rich (BB code):
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A8")) Is Nothing Then
        Range("B8:C8").Value = ""
    End If
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("B8")) Is Nothing Then
        Range("C8").Value = ""
    End If
End Sub

If you full describe the columns you've set up and the range of rows you want to monitor, the order in which the columns "flow", I can help tweak that macro and show you how to install it on your sheet.

Upvote 0
Awesome. I made a dummy file but couldn't figure out how to attach it. For now I've put it as text below in 2 formats. Sorry its messy. The () show the links. (I) is independent list or text space, (A1) is stream A level 1, (A2) stream A level 2 etc. If you could come up with something I would really appreciate it!

Range A1-X1000

(I) - Cols A-M,R,W,X
(A1-4) - Cols N-Q
(B1-2) - Cols S-T
(C1-2) - Cols U-V

(I) | (I) | (I) | (I) | (I) | (I) | (I) | (I) | (I) | (I) | (I) | (I) | (I) | List (A1) | List (A2) | List (A3) | List (A4) | (I) | List (B1) | List (B2) | List (C1) | List (C2) | (I) | (I) |

Its going to be a large database so if you can please set the range as 1000 rows it would be great. If it grows beyond that I'm sure I can jump in and change all the 1000 to 2000 and be covered for another while.

Thanks again! I can't tell you how happy I am with this! If you ever need help with something Australia related let me know :p

Upvote 0
I don't follow anything there. Find some place to upload your sample workbook and provide a link here.

Upvote 0
For a solution that works with standard relational tables see
Cascading queries
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/newsgroups/cascading_dropdowns/index.html

Hi,

I need to set up an excel sheet with dependent data validation that is multiple levels deep.

ie. Select value from dropdown list in Col A returns dependant list in Col B, select value from the list in Col B returns list in Col C etc.

Is this possible?

Also, is it possible to set multiple values to return the same list? ie in the drop down you have 4 items. Each returns a dependent list but items 1 and 3 both return the same dependent list. Just saves me making many copies of the same list with different names which isn't a huge issue.

Really appreciate any help you can provide.

Upvote 0
The sample file you posted looks great, though there's a bit of unnecessary redundancy, I think. What's your question?

The name range ADMISION is misspelled.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back