file locked for editing , can I kick the other user out if its my file?

This is a discussion on file locked for editing , can I kick the other user out if its my file? within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; file locked for editing , can I kick the other user out if its my file? I have made an ...

Default file locked for editing , can I kick the other user out if its my file?

file locked for editing , can I kick the other user out if its my file?

I have made an excel file where other people have to go in and update it. This process takes 2 secs but some people forget and stay in it over lunch etc causing a great annoyance.
    Is there anyway I can "kick" them out my file? Im not concerned if they lose any data they've entered as I'm sure this will help them get the message to get out the file quicker..
    Its really doing my head in... pls help

Default Re: file locked for editing , can I kick the other user out if its my file?

You may want to set it up as a shared workbook where multiple users can open it and make changes to it at the same time.

Share a spreadsheet between multiple users in Excel 2003/XP

Use a shared workbook to collaborate (Excel 2007)

Sharing Workbooks: A Working Exercise

Default Re: file locked for editing , can I kick the other user out if its my file?

Thanks for the idea. I am still reading up on the idea but I run macros on the file and am a bit nervous that having several users update it at the same time could cause lots of problems in itself. they all update the same table/data so there's room for people to try to write to the same cell at the same time etc.

Hi. I have looked into sharing the workbook and I cant use it as the users will end up trying to enter data in the same cells then arguing over it.

I have also looked into permissions for any filetype but cant see how I can do it that way. The only way I can see me doing it is if i was a systems administrator..... Ive also looked into deleting the temp file created my other users but that wont work either.

If anyone has any ideas at all pleaase let me know. Its becoming impossible.

Let me say right off the bat that I'm completely unleared in VBA, but is there a way to write code to have the worksheet save and close itself after a period of inactivity? I bet one of the gurus would be able to figure out how to do it if it can be done.

Ha, Ha,
    Im in the process of writing VBA to give a " SHUT THE FILE!!!" message but i don't want the file to save unless someone clicks save, just in case they are in the middle of something and screw it up. I might do a macro that just closes the file
    thanks