How to round off number after multiplication??

This is a discussion on How to round off number after multiplication?? within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; OK, this might be an easy question for someone other than myself. I am a beginning excel user who is ...

Default How to round off number after multiplication??

OK, this might be an easy question for someone other than myself. I am a beginning excel user who is having a difficult time getting my spreadsheet to do right.

I am multiplying a salary by a percentage. I have the destination column for the answer in accounting format so it will will only display 2 numbers to the right of the decimal point and put the dollar sign in etc.

However, when I go to sum all of the entries in the destination column, it gives be a figure but it is usually off by 1-2 cents.

I figure that it has something to do with a rounding issue.

Can anyone give me an example formula of how to multiply a column X a percentage & round off the resulting number to 2 digits to the right of the decimal point so when I go to add the column it gives me the correct number??

Thanks!!

MrExcel MVP

Default Re: How to round off number after multiplication??

Welcome to the Board.

Example:

=ROUND(A1*B1,2)
    Microsoft MVP - Excel

Board Regular

Well, the way you describe your problem seems a bit liek something ebsides rounding is the issue. maybe give us an example.

Normally, you would use the ROUND function and to go out to 2 decimals it would be something like:

=ROUND(D16*D17,2)

Its just that, the way you describe the issue, the Accounting format and rounding to 2 digits should give you the same answer. So I'm not sure what exactly is going on in this situation.
    - Ryan

Welcome to the board...

Use the ROUND function..

Try
    =ROUND(A1*10%,2)

Hope that helps..
    Want better/faster responses to your questions?
    Use Excel Jeanie to post samples of your sheet.

The more we learn, and the better we get at our trade, the easier it becomes to overlook the obvious.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.
    Ferris Bueller A.K.A. John Hughes, 1986

Thanks alot. I tried it and this solves my problems!!!

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others