Array Formula to Remove Duplicates from List

This is a discussion on Array Formula to Remove Duplicates from List within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; I'm looking for help with an array formula that will condense a long list like this: a a a b ...

Default Array Formula to Remove Duplicates from List

I'm looking for help with an array formula that will condense a long list like this:

a
    a
    a
    b
    c
    b
    d

To this

a
    b
    c
    d

thanks!

Default Re: Array Formula to Remove Duplicates from List

Hi & Welcome to the Board,

Take a look at this thread especially post #12.

Formula to extract unique values to an array

BTW: The advanced filter IMO is still the best way to go...

http://www.contextures.com/xladvfilter01.html
    Last edited by jeffreybrown; Apr 10th, 2010 at 10:00 AM.
    Jeff

Board Regular

Welcome to the board!

I agree, advanced filter is a great way to go. You might also have a look at this thread data comparison which has code to take in any number of lists from one or more columns, sheets or books, and spit out a single list of unique values. I have the macro from post #5 in my personal book and find it handy.

You guys are awesome! Thanks so much--it works just the way I hoped. I'm still trying to get my head around the match function portion, which is the meat of the argument, but at least I can move forward in the meantime!

Hi everyone

I am trying to do a similar thing Except my issue is, the function only works for numerical format or letter is fine. But if it is a text number format like "001", it wont work. Can anyone help here?
    My function is this($D$11 is referencing the range of data I am filtering;F$18:F18 is the first data I found in that range):

{=IFERROR(INDEX(INDIRECT($D$11),MATCH(0,COUNTIF(INDIRECT($D$11),"<"&INDIRECT($D$11))+COUNT(INDIRECT($D$11))*ISTEXT(INDIRECT($D$11))+100000*ISBLANK(INDIRECT($D$11))-SUM(COUNTIF(INDIRECT($D$11),"="&F$18:F18)),0)),"")}

Maybe I'm a little late to the party, but I ran across a really nice solution that uses a couple formulas to create a column that contains only the unique values from another column. It does require the use of a helper column, but you can always hide that. So far, I have tested this solution and it continues to update the values in my "duplicates" list.

Remove Duplicates or Create a List of Unique Records using Excel Formula

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others