DATA VALIDATION

This is a discussion on DATA VALIDATION within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; I am trying to use the Data /Validation function to show a warning message when a duplicate number is input ...

Default DATA VALIDATION

I am trying to use the Data /Validation function to show a warning message when a duplicate number is input into the current cell(i.e F4), which matches a number which could have been input into a cell within the range (F8:F5000).

Please could you advise if such a function is possible in Data validation, and if so the correct syntax to use.

Alternatively is there any other function that could achieve the desired result.

Thanks

Board Regular

You could setup a formula within another part of the spreadsheet that vlookups the number in F4, if it finds it then enter a 0 in the box, if not then enter a one. This can be done using the if(iserror( statements.

Have a macro that works upon changing that call (F4), you may need help for this - I dont know how to do this.

That macro could look at the vlookup result, if it is a 1 then it does nothing, if it is a 0 then put a msgbox up, and if necessary clear F4 out.

This should work in theory, but I am unsure of the code to do so.

Hope it helps.
    stuart

MrExcel MVP

=ISNA(MATCH(F4,F8:F5000,0))

=COUNTIF($F$8:$F$5000,F4)=0

If the value entered in F4 is in the range F8:F5000, you will recieve the warning message

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others