This workbook is currently referenced by another workbook...

bill

Hi,

Whenever I close EXCEL, I get this:

This workbook is currently referenced by another workbook and cannot be closed.

I saw somone else who had a similar problem but it occured when the user opened and not closed the XLS.

Also, i'm STILL using EXCEL97.

ns Posted: 07 Nov 2002 05:07 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whenever I start Excel I get the message "This workbook is currently referenced by another workbook and cannot be closed." When I press OK the message box goes away and I can use Excel/VBA prefectly fine. This probably started happening when I was creating an XLA and maybe something I did during that caused this to happen. I cannot find any unwanted/unnamed XLA or references in VBA or addins or links or .... Any ideas on why this is happening and how I can cure it? Thanks.

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Thanks for the reply but alas, the solution s NOT at hand...

Simply opening and closing EXCEL produces the error...

Seems to be tied to the ANALYSIS TOOLPAK...

Upvote 0
Just to be clear, you are not using VBA in any workbook that you have open? (including the workbook that you are simply opening and closing?)

What makes you say that it seems to be tied to the Analysis Toolpak?

Upvote 0
Because removing it as an ADD-IN makes the problem go away.

No, no VBA involved as far as I know.

Just opening EXCEL and then promptly closing EXCEL raises the problem.

I looked for an ON OPEN event in my PERSONAL.XLS but found nothing...

Upvote 0
Re: This workbook is currently referenced by another workboo

i recieve the exact same message when i open any excel workbook now too. it began happening when i tried to make an add-in. using the Workbook_Open() event handler in the ThisWorkbook object to create a toolbar where i could access my macros contained in the add-in. what is meant by the workbook being referenced by another workbook?

Upvote 0

Add-ins are WB's in disguise.
So, the fact you're working with an ADD-IN is a good indicator that perhaps EXCEL has confusion between the ADD-IN and any other WB y9ou are working with.

Meaning 9 times out of 10, when working with an ADD-IN, you also work with a WB.

Hence the possibility of one referencing the other...

Your ThisWorkBook info may provide invaluable.
You may wish to try assigning NOTHING to any objects after processing.
If you ADD-IN for example remains tied to a WB, instead close the ties and maybe just store the name of the WB.
Might be a bit trickier to deal with but you won't have to bother with a persistent reference that doesn't want to go away...

BTW, I'm still dealing with my issue and have seemingly learned to deal with it! :(

Upvote 0

Thanks for the help. In the context of my problem, I'm also using add-ins that I cannot modify, and am forced to work with, which may be referencing the workbook. The strange thing is that they were working fine before and only after I made my own add-in, did they start bringing up this message. Even after I uninstalled my add in and removed it from the add-ins directory the problem persisted :confused:

guess i'll have to go back to the old drawing board and re-invent the wheel. thanks again for the help, and sorry i couldn't be much help to you

Upvote 0

I know what you are going through as I too have to deal with TWO add-ins I have no control over...

G-Luck!

Upvote 0

HI I was having this issue. I was able to resolve it by looking through all of my VBA projects in VB Editor. I did have a reference from my personal.xlsb to another project. removing this reference for the project n the Tools > References dialog then saving the project fixed the issue for me.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back