Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Macro: Changing cell color based on date in cell

This is a discussion on Macro: Changing cell color based on date in cell within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Hi, I need help writing a macro. Column D is filled with various dates. D2 might be 23/05/2010, D3 might ...

Default Macro: Changing cell color based on date in cell

Hi,

I need help writing a macro. Column D is filled with various dates. D2 might be 23/05/2010, D3 might be 12/06/2010, etc. While Cell in Column E might contain text, e.g. "Exceed Target Date", etc. Also, the number of rows is unknown and may be as large as a thousand or more. There also might be blank cells in the column too.

I need a macro that will go through Column D and Column G separately and change the Fill Color based on criteria, compared to today's date:

- If the date in the cell is prior to today's date, the cell's fill color should change to red

- If the date in the cell is the same as today's date, the cell's fill color should change to yellow

- If the date in the cell is 1 or 2 days after today, the cell's fill color should change to green

- If the date is 3 days or beyond after today's date, or if the cell contains text or is blank, the cell should remain white (or be filled with white, if it wasn't already)

And i would also like Cell in Column E turns to red, whenever the target date is passed.

Ideally, this macro should be run everytime the excel document is opened. Additionally, the code needs to change things appropriately. For example, if I open the document today (21/06/2010) and it finds the date 22/06/2010, it should change that fill to red. Then when I open tomorrow, since the date will now be today's date, it should change the red to yellow, as per the criteria above.

Your help is highly appreciated.

G2K
    Board Regular

Default Re: Macro: Changing cell color based on date in cell

Hi AinMn,

try this code in Workbook Open Event -
    Code:
    Sub test()
    Dim i As Integer
    For i = Range("D5000").End(xlUp).Row To 2 Step -1 'Range upto 5000, chnge this as per your requirment

If CDate(Cells(i, 4)) >= VBA.Date() + 3 Or Application.IsText(Cells(i, 4)) = True Or Cells(i, 4) = vbNullString Then Cells(i, 4).Interior.ColorIndex = 2
        If CDate(Cells(i, 7)) >= VBA.Date() + 3 Or Application.IsText(Cells(i, 7)) = True Or Cells(i, 4) = vbNullString Then Cells(i, 4).Interior.ColorIndex = 2
        If CDate(Cells(i, 4)) >= VBA.Date() + 1 And CDate(Cells(i, 4)) <= VBA.Date() + 2 Then Cells(i, 4).Interior.ColorIndex = 4
        If CDate(Cells(i, 7)) >= VBA.Date() + 1 And CDate(Cells(i, 7)) <= VBA.Date() + 2 Then Cells(i, 7).Interior.ColorIndex = 4

Select Case VBA.CDate(Cells(i, 4))

Case Is < VBA.Date()
            Cells(i, 4).Interior.ColorIndex = 3
            Cells(i, 7).Interior.ColorIndex = 3
        Case Is = VBA.Date()
            Cells(i, 4).Interior.ColorIndex = 6
            Cells(i, 7).Interior.ColorIndex = 6

End Select
    Next
    End Sub
    would you please tell me what do u mean by "And i would also like Cell in Column E turns to red, whenever the target date is passed."
    Regards,
    Gautam S

Hi,

welcome to the board........

In Module...

Code:
    Sub colouring()
    Dim cell As Range
        For Each cell In Sheet1.Range("D2:D" & Sheet1.Range("D" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)
        If Not IsDate(cell.Value) Then GoTo X:
        If IsEmpty(cell.Value) Then GoTo X:
            If cell.Value < Date Then
                cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 3

ElseIf cell.Value = Date Then

cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 4

ElseIf cell.Value - Date >= 1 And cell.Value - Date <= 2 Then

cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 6

Else
    X:
            cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 0

End If

Next cell
    End Sub
    In Thisworkbook---------
    Code:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()
    Call colouring
    End Sub
    in worksheet where you want... in my case sheet is sheet1 ....

Code:
    Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Target.Column = 4 Then
    Call coluring
    End If
    End Sub

HTH
    -------------------------------------

Sure like the VBA solutions but, would it not be more efficient to use an "NOW()" statement under Conditional Formatting?

EX: Formula is =NOW() > D# For the E column

EX: Cell value is equal to =NOW() For the D column

Or whatever your parameters are.

Just a thought.

G2K
    Board Regular

Smile Re: Macro: Changing cell color based on date in cell

Quote Originally Posted by LvBombero View Post
    Sure like the VBA solutions but, would it not be more efficient to use an "NOW()" statement under Conditional Formatting?

EX: Formula is =NOW() > D# For the E column

EX: Cell value is equal to =NOW() For the D column

Or whatever your parameters are.

Just a thought.
    Ofcourse, but you can not use more than three condition in conditional formating where as VBA can use unlimited conditions
    Regards,
    Gautam S

Hi G2k,

I have used the codes, it works fine. Thanks for that. What i mean by ( "And i would also like Cell in Column E turns to red, whenever the target date is passed." ) is :-

1. Whenever date in Column D(Cell e.g.D2) is greather than today's date, then the cell will turn red. Whilst, Column E (Cell e.g.E2) should correspond to date in D2 with the text message "Exceed target date" with font color in red.
    2. Whenever date in Column D is overdue, the cell in Column E will display the text in red color font.

Does it make any sense?
    I wanted to attach an image for your better idea on what i'm trying to say here, but i can't seem to insert the image here.. Any idea how?

Rgds

Sounds like he only needs 3. And that is only true in Excel 2003 or earlier.

G2K
    Board Regular

Quote Originally Posted by AinMn View Post
    Hi G2k,

I have used the codes, it works fine. Thanks for that. What i mean by ( "And i would also like Cell in Column E turns to red, whenever the target date is passed." ) is :-

1. Whenever date in Column D(Cell e.g.D2) is greather than today's date, then the cell will turn red. Whilst, Column E (Cell e.g.E2) should correspond to date in D2 with the text message "Exceed target date" with font color in red.
    2. Whenever date in Column D is overdue, the cell in Column E will display the text in red color font.

Does it make any sense?
    I wanted to attach an image for your better idea on what i'm trying to say here, but i can't seem to insert the image here.. Any idea how?

Rgds
    do you mean that in both conditions (cell value in D2 is > or cell value in D2 < date) the cell color would change in red?

what would be cell color in column E if date is equal to current date?
    Regards,
    Gautam S

sorry, but
    Did you try mine code... it will do each thing you want
    Last edited by littleiitin; Jun 21st, 2010 at 02:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by littleiitin View Post
    sorry, but
    Did you try mine code... it will do each thing you want

Yes, i did try your code. It works the same. But when the cell value have not reached the today's date, the cell color change to red. What i want is that
    1. When the cell value have already passed, the cell color to change to green or yellow.

I try to insert the image here but its not working. how do i insert image in my post? Any idea?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others