Can Excel compare two spreadsheets & delete duplicates?

This is a discussion on Can Excel compare two spreadsheets & delete duplicates? within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/showthread.php?t=481462 Similiar to what the link above did, but I am a total n00b and wouldn't know the first thing ...

Default Can Excel compare two spreadsheets & delete duplicates?

Comparing 2 columns and deleting duplicates in one row

Similiar to what the link above did, but I am a total n00b and wouldn't know the first thing about VB Scripting.

So, I have a spreadsheet with 2 years of data. Now I'm being tasked to scrub the data of specific entries. To do this I was given another spreadsheet with only a date/time code like so:

2010/02/26 14:31:31

So far, I've simply been manually comparing date times and deleting the duplicate entries manually. There's over 300 duplicates and it's taking forever.

There has to be a better way. I would even be content with Excel matching them up side by side or highlighting the duplicates with a color so I can CTRL click and delete in one fell swoop.

Dear fellow forum members, can you assist a knuckle head like I in this endevor?

a pic of the current setup.

green fields used to highlight that I've manually matched those two. Once matched, the one on the right will have the whole row deleted.
    Last edited by obyone; Jul 15th, 2010 at 04:55 PM.

Board Regular

Default Re: Can Excel compare two spreadsheets & delete duplicates?

If you use formulas, Excel won't "delete" duplicates...but can recreate your list in a new location excluding the duplicates.
    Humpty Dumpty was pushed

u can use match. so on Sheet1, in B1, type: =match(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$A$1000,false) - and copy down.

anything that has a number (non - #N/A) would mean there's a duplicate on the other sheet. this assumes your two datasets sit in Col A on Sheet1 and Sheet2

Quote Originally Posted by sulakvea View Post
    u can use match. so on Sheet1, in B1, type: =match(A1,Sheet2!$A$1:$A$1000,false) - and copy down.

anything that has a number (non - #N/A) would mean there's a duplicate on the other sheet. this assumes your two datasets sit in Col A on Sheet1 and Sheet2

Ok, here comes the dummy in me.

Got the formula and plugged it into I2 on Sheet 3 to compare with the second sheet given to me showing the date/times that should be removed. I wrote it like so:

=match(I2,Sheet4!$A$1:$A$1000,false)

Also tried:

=match(I2,Sheet3!$A$1:$A$1000,false)

Sheet 3 is the original sheet. It has all the original data (2 yrs worth).
    Sheet 4 is the one provided to me showing which date/times need to be removed from sheet 3.
    Date/times are located begining on I2 on sheet 3. Sheet 4 has date/times beginning in A1.

I get either everything shows up as #N/A or a circular error.

Sulakvea, thank you so much.

I kinda stumbled on a million dollar answer on here.
    I've been looking all over the net to find a way to find duplicates on multiple sheets.Couldn't find any answers.I guess nobody really knew it.

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others