Only able to view worksheet in full screen view or print preview

This is a discussion on Only able to view worksheet in full screen view or print preview within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; I'm trying to open a 2003 Excel spreadsheet from Excel 2007. The file opens, but the spreadsheet is grayed out. ...

Default Only able to view worksheet in full screen view or print preview

I'm trying to open a 2003 Excel spreadsheet from Excel 2007. The file opens, but the spreadsheet is grayed out. There's no tabs, no rows or columns, only the "named cell references" are available. If I view spreadsheet in full screen view or print preivew, I can see it. What is wrong?

Board Regular

Default Re: Only able to view worksheet in full screen view or print preview

Hi Rondi:

Not sure if you got it figured out but I am thinking that maybe some options have been removed. You may very well have checked this out already but just in case:

Open File
    Select Tools/Options...
    Click on the View TAB and make sure that "Sheet tabs" and "Row & column headers" are both checked off. HOPEFULLY that gives you a start...

As for it being grayed out I am not really sure. Maybe there is another option under view or maybe the sheet has been Protected. To remove Protection select Tools\Protection\Unprotect sheet

Good Luck,
    Mark

I'm working in Excel 2007 so I'm having a difficult time finding my old menu options so I'm not following your suggestions. I did verify that my "Sheet Options" do have the "View" "Gridlines" and "Headings" have been checked. My screen looks like I have not opened a worksheet, it appears blank, except for the "named reference" which refers to cells in my worksheet. When I view in "full Screen," I can see my worksheet. But I can't work in full screen and I'm not the only user. This same problem happens on my co-workers computer as well. Another oddity, if I choose "New Window" from the "window" toolbar, it opens the worksheet in the new window.

I was able to verify that my worksheet is not hidden nor is the worksheet protected. I just can't see it (doesn't that sound funny

Board Regular

Hi Rondi:

SORRY for the confusion.

That does sound weird...

Maybe the sheet is just off screen?

TRY:

Window\Arrange\Tiled

Or possibly

Window\Arrange Icons

If that doesn't get your sheet back I am at a loss. If you want I can provide my email address as once I see it it may be a quick fix, but if it is a confidential sheet you may not want to go that route.

Good Luck Rondi.
    Take Care,
    Mark

Yep, the Window/Arrange All/Tiled worked! Thanks for the quick fix.

I read on another message board where this was a problem when someone saved it with different display settings and especially on laptops. I have a laptop plus dual 21" display monitors. It's entirely possible that when I saved it last, I had Excel expanded across both monitors before I saved it. I made sure this time that I was only viewing on one monitor and re-saved. It seems to be working fine now.

Thanks again!

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others