XLL file will not load

mbrittb00

Board Regular
I'm sorry if this has been asked and answered previously, but I did a search though the forums and was unable to find an answer. I have an XLL file that I have been using for some time now. Recently I started trying to use that XLL file on a new computer and have been running into a problem. I have been able to successfully add the xll file to the add-ins list, but when I reopen excel I get an error box telling me:

The file you are trying to open, xxx, is in a different format than specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now?

If I click "Yes" it opens up the XLL file in excel and there is a bunch of garbage in all the cells.

The XLL file was written for Excel 2007 so that is the only version of excel I have tried to use it on. I have been able to successfully get it to work on Windows XP, and Windows Vista Home. The latest try (which is the one not working) is on Windows Vista Enterprise.

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Update: I need to take something back. It appears that the xll file is NOT loading correctly. I have no idea why. What would cause excel on one OS to recognize the format but not on another?

Upvote 0
It looks like the problem is with the macro settings in the Trust Center. It is currently set to "Disable all macros with notification". However everything is grayed out so I can't make any changes to this. I presume that this is due to a group policy here at work. Is there anyway I can override those settings by adding entries into the registry? If so what parameters do I need to add.

Thanks,

Upvote 0
My suggestion is to check if your XLL depends on msvcr100.dll. And if it does, then check if this dll exists in c:\windows\system32 folder.
You can check dependencies using depends.exe.

This was my reason why fu**ing excel was not able to load generic.xll on fresh OS. With exactly the same error message as you have.
I hate excel and it's ****ty code. It doesn't show any details in the error message describing the problem. It just doesn't work.:oops:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back