VBA Conditional Formatting - Multiple Criteria

This is a discussion on VBA Conditional Formatting - Multiple Criteria within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Hello, Using Excel 2003 on XP, I am attempting to add CF to a macro using VBA . I'm very ...

Default VBA Conditional Formatting - Multiple Criteria

Hello,

Using Excel 2003 on XP, I am attempting to add CF to a macro using VBA. I'm very new to VBA, so my syntax isn't always clean. I can't find a similar enough reference to what I'm trying to do, so I need help, or I'll pull out the rest of my hair.

Here is a sample of the code I'm trying to use - pared down to two Cases from six, for visibility:

Dim fairtype as Range
    Dim rangevar As Range

Set fairtype = Sheets("Monitor").Range("C1")
    Set rangevar = Sheets("Adv").Range("d2:d600")

For Each cell In rangevar

Select Case fairtype

Case "PRES"
    If (rangevar.Value = "*holiday*") Or (rangevar.Value = "*Yellow*") Or (rangevar.Value = "*pic*") Then
    cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 35
    cell.Interior.Pattern = xlSolid
    End If

Case "MIL"
    If (rangevar.Value = "*Best*") Or (rangevar.Value = "*Green*") Then
    cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 35
    cell.Interior.Pattern = xlSolid
    End If

End Select

Next cell

I'm getting a "Type Mismatch" error in Case "MIL" (that is what is in the Range when I run the macro, so skipping over Case "PRES" is correct).

Please let me know how I messed this up.

MrExcel MVP

Default Re: VBA Conditional Formatting - Multiple Criteria

This won't work:

If (rangevar.Value = "*holiday*") Or (rangevar.Value = "*Yellow*") Or (rangevar.Value = "*pic*") Then

Try:

If (rangevar.Value Like "*holiday*") Or (rangevar.Value Like "*Yellow*") Or (rangevar.Value Like "*pic*") Then
    Microsoft MVP - Excel

You might want to use a Select-Case structure instead of the If-Or structure you have right now.

You also may want to use the InStr function instead of wildcards. The syntax for that would be:

InStr([Value to search through], [Value to search for])

If the second item is found within the first item, InStr will return the position in the first item that it was found. Otherwise, it will return 0.

Thank you both for your replies!

Andrew - I tried changing "=" to LIKE, but I still received the "Type mismatch" error.

MisterCrash - I like the idea of eliminating wildcards, and so I have run the INSTR formula through a macro to get a feel for it. I used the following macro to check the value produced:

Sub test()

Dim testval As Integer

testval = InStr(1, Range("d57"), "e")

MsgBox testval

End Sub

...which resulted in a value of "2" being displayed. Great! I ran it with "more" instead of "2" - and I verified that "more" is in the cell referenced - it displayed "0" when it should have come back with a value of "13".

I'm going to try an embedded Select Case instead of an IF/Then. I'll re-post with the results.

MrExcel MVP

Yes, it should be:

Code:
    If (cell.Value = "*holiday*") Or (cell.Value = "*Yellow*") Or (cell.Value = "*pic*") Then
    Microsoft MVP - Excel

BINGO! That did it. Now I see how I messed the syntax up - I was looking to use the "cell", but referred back to the variable instead. That's why the error.

Thank you for all of your help!

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others