Disable Hyperlink Hover Info?

billpq

Board Regular
I have a worksheet with hyperlinks and I would like to disable the little yellow balloon that appears when you hover over the cell with the mouse.

Can this be done? If so, can it be done on a cell by cell basis or just all of nothing for the entire sheet? If cell by cell, can I change the words that appear in the yellow balloon for those that I don't want to disable?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
I have a worksheet with hyperlinks and I would like to disable the little yellow balloon that appears when you hover over the cell with the mouse.

Can this be done? If so, can it be done on a cell by cell basis or just all of nothing for the entire sheet? If cell by cell, can I change the words that appear in the yellow balloon for those that I don't want to disable?

Thanks!

You can Edit the Hyperlinks and set the ToolTip text to some empty space but that would only reduce the size of the yellow balloon and NOT make it disappear completely.

I am still curious to know if this can somehow be done.

Upvote 0
if the cell in question has a comment excel shows the comment rather than the hypelink tooltip. if you put a blank comment with no line and no fill you will only see the small comment arrow .

Upvote 0
Ok .

Here is a robust solution that i've just come up with. It removes the hyperlink tooltips completely!

Workbook Example.

Usage example :

Code:
Option Explicit

Private oHyperLnk As Object

Sub RemoveToolTips()

Set oHyperLnk = CreateObject("Jaafar.Hyperlink")

oHyperLnk.DisableHyperLinkToolTips

End Sub

Sub ResetToolTips()

Set oHyperLnk = Nothing

End Sub

Code in ThisWorkbook Module :

Code:
Option Explicit

Private Sub Workbook_Open()

Call CreateDll(True)

End Sub

Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose(Cancel As Boolean)

'CleanUp
    Call DeleteDll(True)

End Sub

Main code in a Standard Module :

Code:
Option Explicit

Private Const DLL_PATH_NAME As String = "C:\Hyperlnk.dll"

Public Sub CreateDll(ByVal Dummy As Boolean)

Dim Bytes() As Byte
    Dim lFileNum As Integer
    Dim aVar
    Dim x As Long

aVar = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("dllBytes").UsedRange.Value

ReDim Bytes(LBound(aVar) To UBound(aVar))
    For x = LBound(aVar) To UBound(aVar)
        Bytes(x) = CByte(aVar(x, 1))
    Next

lFileNum = FreeFile
    Open DLL_PATH_NAME For Binary As #lFileNum
        Put #lFileNum, 1, Bytes
    Close lFileNum

Call RegisterDll

End Sub

Public Sub DeleteDll(ByVal Dummy As Boolean)

Call UnRegisterDll
    On Error Resume Next
    Kill DLL_PATH_NAME

End Sub

Private Sub RegisterDll()

Dim oWshShell As Object

Set oWshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    oWshShell.Run "regsvr32.exe /s " & DLL_PATH_NAME

End Sub

Private Sub UnRegisterDll()

Dim oWshShell As Object

Set oWshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    oWshShell.Run "regsvr32.exe /s /u " & DLL_PATH_NAME

End Sub

Note the Hidden worksheet named "dllBytes" is where the compiled Hyperlnk dll bytes are strored.

Upvote 0
Thank you both for the info and suggestions. I tried inserting your code and hidden worksheet into my file, and after saving and reopening I got the following debug error:

Run-time error '13':
Type Mismatch

Upvote 0
Thank you both for the info and suggestions. I tried inserting your code and hidden worksheet into my file, and after saving and reopening I got the following debug error:

Run-time error '13':
Type Mismatch

Did the example workbook I posted as is worked as expected ? Did you change anything in the code ?

If it's ok , you can email me your file so I can take a look .

Upvote 0
Jaafar - the file you shared works just as it should - tooltips vanished (for the price of a small DLL created in C:\ and some of your time) :)
it only works for regular hyperlinks - i thought it might offer something for the ones created with the HYPERLINK function.

Upvote 0
Did the example workbook I posted as is worked as expected ? Did you change anything in the code ?

If it's ok , you can email me your file so I can take a look .

Yes, your example file works fine as is. I was just about to try and troubleshoot when I saw Bobsan42's reply. I wasn't aware that your solution will not work for hyperlinks created with Excel's =Hyperlink(range1, range2) formula. I just added such a formula to your worksheet and unfortunately it still shows the balloon upon hovering, while the other examples on your sheet not using =Hyperlink() do not.

Any further thoughts? I really appreciate your efforts on this, but don't want to take any more of your time. While not my first choice, I can live with those hovering balloons if that's the way it has to be. I was hoping for a quick option somewhere within Excel or an add-on that could quickly disable them.

Thanks everyone!

Upvote 0
Jaafar - the file you shared works just as it should - tooltips vanished (for the price of a small DLL created in C:\ and some of your time) :)
it only works for regular hyperlinks - i thought it might offer something for the ones created with the HYPERLINK function.

bobsan42. Thanks for pointing out the HYPERLINK function. I forgot about it altogether.

Any further thoughts? I really appreciate your efforts on this, but don't want to take any more of your time. While not my first choice, I can live with those hovering balloons if that's the way it has to be. I was hoping for a quick option somewhere within Excel or an add-on that could quickly disable them.

billpq. No worries. I am too interested in finding a way to be able to completly remove the Hyperlinks tooltip balloons specially baecause this has never been done before AFAIK.

I'll see if I can succeed at making the above solution work for tooltips associated with the HYPERLINK function as well .

Upvote 0
This now should work for disabling the tooltip balloons of all Hyperlinks including those associated with the HYPERLINK function.

Workbook Update

Code stays the same.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back