Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By daleyman

Macro to Insert Column between Existing Columns

This is a discussion on Macro to Insert Column between Existing Columns within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Thanks daleyman, that did the trick. I tried similar code with no sucess, but yours did the trick. I knew ...

Thanks daleyman, that did the trick. I tried similar code with no sucess, but yours did the trick. I knew it had to be something simple, but I kept going around the proper solution. Thanks for the help!!!

I have a DAT file that I am bring into Excel to modify. The field seperators are commas. When I have the required changes done, I want to save as text file, but need to put the commas back in (for import requirements in the next software package). I thought I had seen a tip to insert a blank column between all existing columns, but can't find it using search, and am getting frustrated trying to recreate it. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the tip or tell me how to set the macro up?

Board Regular

Are there a set number of columns?
    How about saving as a csv file?
    Comma Seperated Values
    Tom

[ This Message was edited by: TsTom on 2002-04-14 08:35 ]

Board Regular

recent topic over last 24 hours...

click here !

.. also, if you cannot adjust this code to do it for you, are you asking for just a macro to insert a blank column every other column?

<table style="background-color:#0e54be" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="2"><td style="background-color:#ceffff;font-family:arial;color:#072c63;font-size:8pt;">***DALEY** :P**</td></table>

I tried the CSV format, but the program to import into will not accept it. The quotes for text fields are already brought over when I import the data into Excel. I have 16 columns, some of them blank, that require a comma to seperate. A macro to insert 15 columns is all that is required as I have the rest of the code set up already. Why is it that the simple things always seem to cause the most problems?

[ This Message was edited by: Bagsy Baker on 2002-04-14 09:32 ]

Board Regular

still don't really understand the question. If its just alternate columns needing to be inserted, how about:

Sub insert_column_every_other()
    For colx = 2 To 30 Step 2
    Columns(colx).Insert Shift:=xlToRight
    Next
    End Sub

sorry, is this what you mean?
    rajannautiyal likes this.

<table style="background-color:#0e54be" cellspacing="1" cellpadding="2"><td style="background-color:#ceffff;font-family:arial;color:#072c63;font-size:8pt;">***DALEY** :P**</td></table>

On 2002-04-14 10:52, daleyman wrote:
    still don't really understand the question. If its just alternate columns needing to be inserted, how about:

For colx = 2 To 30 Step 2
    Next
    End Sub

sorry, is this what you mean?
    I don't know exactly what the OP wants, but I don't think your code will do eactly what *you* want here.

If you are inserting columns and shifting to the right, it is much better to go from right to left, as the columns will not fall out of sync with your colx value. It will be very difficult to keep track of the columns/count this way.

For colx = 30 To 2 Step -2
    Next
    End Sub

will be better suited for this, much like when you delete rows, you work from bottom to top.

Bye,
    Jay

Default Re: Macro to Insert Column between Existing Columns

Hello,

Do you know how i would rework this so it works across more columns? and potentially add in 3 columns instead of just one?

thanks for the help

chris

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others