Formula to Show Full Address of Named Range without VBA

Dsewardj

Board Regular
This is a short and easy one and the answer is most likely no without VBA but...

I was wondering if there was a way I could show the full address of a named range. Let's say I have a named range in Sheet1 called FirstNames. The range address would be Sheet1!$A$2:$A$7.

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 76pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=100 x:str><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 17pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 804" width=22><COL style="WIDTH: 59pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2852" width=78><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver; WIDTH: 17pt; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl26 height=17 width=22></TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver; WIDTH: 59pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl27 width=78>A
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl27 height=17 x:num>1

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl24>FirstNames</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl27 height=17 x:num>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl28>Bob</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl27 height=17 x:num>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl28>Tim</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl27 height=17 x:num>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl28>Sue</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl27 height=17 x:num>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl28>Bill</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl27 height=17 x:num>

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl25></TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: silver; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl27 height=17 x:num>7

</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; BORDER-TOP: windowtext; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl25></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

Now I know I can use the ROW and COLUMN functions to find the 1st row and 1st column of the named range.

Code:
=ROW(FirstNames)
would return 2 and...
Code:
=COLUMN(FirstNames)
would return 1

And from there I could use the ADDRESS function. But this only gives me the beginning of the range.

I can't use the COUNTA function because the last two rows do not contain any data, and I don't want to use a dynamic named range because it will not work for the mini-application I am building.

I was thinking there must be some way to find the end of the range considering the ROW and COLUMN functions can find the beginning of it.

Thanks for any help.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hi

Maybe you could work with something like this - which would return the address range of a named range "data":

=ADDRESS(ROW(data),COLUMN(data))&":"&ADDRESS(ROW(data)+ROWS(data)-1,COLUMN(data)+COLUMNS(data)-1)

If the range is a single cell range then it will return it like:

A1:A1

Upvote 0
Excellent! Thank you very much.

I feel so simple... I was already using the ROW and COLUMN functions, a simple extension into the ROWS and COLUMNS functions was all I needed.

Thank you again.

Upvote 0
I am using this exact formula but trying to put it in a SUM function.

=sum(address(B1,COLUMN(gutters),4,true,"Ph")&":"&address(B1,column(gutters)+COLUMNS(gutters)-1,4,true,"Ph"))

Where B1 contains a row number, and "Ph" is the name of another sheet in the worksheet.

Using:

address(B1,COLUMN(gutters),4,true,"Ph")&":"&address(B1,column(gutters)+COLUMNS(gutters)-1,4,true,"Ph")

returns exactly the text I want, "Ph!BP15:Ph!BW15", so I figured I could put it within a SUM function and it would sum that range. But it actually returns the number 0. There are numbers in all those cells, so I am puzzled why it's returning 0. It does not give me an error. If I simply put =SUM(
Ph!BP15:Ph!BW15) it returns the correct sum of 179. So why isn't it returning 179 when I derive it using the address functions separated by &":"& ?

I also tried adding INDIRECT( to each address function and this still returned 0.

Any help?

Upvote 0
Try

=SUM(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(B1, COLUMN(gutters), 4, TRUE, "Ph") & ":" & ADDRESS(B1, COLUMN(gutters) + COLUMNS(gutters) - 1, 4, TRUE)))

Upvote 0
The posted formula doesn't give that result. Try again.

Upvote 0
I don't use Google Sheets, sorry.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocbudda

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back