Why? Getting 'command cannot be used on multiple selections" error?

SusaninHouston

I know this error generally means that you're trying to do something with multiple cells that is restricted to a single cell.

But what I'm trying to do is copy one cell from one workbook (source file) and paste it into another (destination). This happens even when I do it *manually* so it's not a VB issue.

And what's even stranger is that when I select two worksheets on the source file and try to paste the contents into a single worksheet destination file (and *should* get this error, I *don't* !

Any ideas?

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
Can you explain a simple way to replicate the problem? Or post code that illustrates?

Upvote 0
Since it happens even when I'm NOT using VB, I don't think posting code would help...

The problem occurs in a simple Copy-Paste routine.
I'm using Control C to copy, going to a new blank worksheet, and Control V to paste.

It's clearly *something* in the source worksheet, since I do know how to copy & paste. But I don't know what it is, which means I can't fix it...

Upvote 0
It sounds like you may be selecting a discontinuous* range. Copy and Paste (and other features) work only on simple rectangular ranges.

*-Although commonly used, the word "discontinuous" is a misnomer. For example the range A1:D6,C4:E9 is commonly called a "discontinuous range" even though it is continuous in that one can go from cell to cell throughout the range. An accurate synonym for the common term "discontinuous range" would be "convex range".

Upvote 0
I'm using Control C to copy, going to a new blank worksheet, and Control V to paste
The error should occur on the copy, before you ever get to the paste. Does it not?

EDIT: Not relevant to your problem if it is indeed a single cell selected, but you can copy and paste a non-contiguous range as long as all the cells are in the same row or same column.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
quadrilateral

How does convex work there? Maybe it's a technical thing, but I think quadrilateral is the right word...

I get lots of hits for convex range on google, but no definitions. Where can I find that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Wut, I don't want to hijack the thread with a discussion of terminology, but there are non-convex quadrilaterals. "Rectangular" would be an alternative to "convex" as would the Excel term Area.

Excel's term Area would be the preferred term (single Area range vs. multi-Area range) except that its not understandable by non-Excel savvy folks. "Convex" is similarly obscure. "Rectangular" would be a good common term. But internet practice at the moment seems to be "discontinuous".

Upvote 0
A non-contiguous range is one that is not (or cannot be) described simply by its corners.

For example, if you select A1:C2, and then add A2:C3 to the selection, the result is a contiguous range (A1:C3), but the description (A1:C2, A2:C3) is not, and Excel won't let you copy it.

Upvote 0
I appreciate the high-level commentary -- but Guys - This is a SINGLE CELL copy that's blowing. And no, it's on the Paste portion...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back