How can I find the row number of a matched value returned by VLOOKUP?

RogeratCCCC

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I’m using VLOOKUP to find an exact match in an unsorted column. The VLOOKUP works correctly, and the correct matched value is returned, but I need to know the ROW in which the match occurred, not just the value itself. Is there any way I can do that? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
=MATCH("find me", $A:$A,0) will return the row number.

=MATCH("find me",$A10:$A100,0) will return the row index relative to the data range.

Upvote 0
You'll have to use MATCH for this since VLOOKUP does not return a range object. What is your current formula?

Upvote 0
Thanks so much for the quick reply. MATCH works and I am experimenting with it. Maybe you can answer an additional question. What I am trying to do is lookup a value in the leftmost (unsorted) column of a table of rows, then copy the entire row (12 cells) to another worksheet. I was going to use MATCH and INDEX to do the copy. Is there an easier way to copy an entire row when matching the leftmost cell in the row?

Thanks again for any additional suggestions.

Upvote 0
Depending how many rows you want to copy over, this can easily be handled by INDEX/MATCH or VLOOKUP. They won't "copy" the rows over, but will rather display their result on the worksheet. If you want an actual copy where the values will not update, I'd suggest a VBA alternative.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back