Turn Off Excel Autoformat on replace

just1joe

Board Regular
Hello,

I have data that I'm trying to cleanse. I imported it into excel with each column defined as text format. This part is fine and worked the way I needed it to. I am trying to remove - / \ characters from some of the columns.

When I use the replace function 05/17 becomes 517 when I need 0517 and 6666-8888-7777-9999-9999 dsiplays as 6.66689e+19. If I then save the file as text, it saves the 6.66689e+19 value.

Is there a way to turn the autoformat feature off? Or is there another method for removing these characters other than replce?

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
Here is a work around, though I am sure there must be better methods.

Make sure the all cells the entries are in are in text format.

Now, to fix entries like "05/17" (to "0517"), insert a column and enter this formula:

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","") assuming "05/17" is in cell A1.

Likewise, to fix "6666-8888-7777-9999-9999", use:

=SUBSTITUTE(A2,"-","")

Upvote 0
Thanks. I'll use that on the next round. I ended up concatinating multiple MID functions together to get the same result. Sunstitute will be better because it is not position dependent like MID.

- Joe

Upvote 0
Mark W.,

Check it out for yourself. I find it to be quite bizarre Excel behavior, but if you have a cell formatted as text with "6666-8888-7777-9999-9999 " in it, and you do a Find & Replace "-" with nothing, it changes it to "6.66689e+19", even though it is still supposedly formatted as Text!

I'm not sure why that happens, but apparently SUBSTITUTE works where Find & Replace doesn't.

Upvote 0
Hmmm, that appears to be the case! The only way to avoid this behavior is to preface the value with an apostrophe.

Upvote 0
Yes, That forces the cell to be treated as text and as long as everything you are doing is in Excel it works fine. Unfortunately it causes problems when trying to import the data into other systems. They don't know to disregard the apostrophie.

Upvote 0
How are you importing this data? Have you considered "reading" this file using an ODBC driver?

Upvote 0
The file is an export from quickbooks in a tab delimited format. There is a 3rd party ODBC driver for QB that someone is selling, but it's too expensive for the minimal use we would have for it.

The issue really isn't in inporting the data as it is in manipulating the data once in Excel and then exporting it. The workarounds have been sufficient to address my immediate need. Thanks a lot for everyone's assistance.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back