"Update Link" automatically for Excel Chart in PowerPoint while Excel file is open (Read-Only)

kyleherzog112164

I have an Excel Sheet that we use to track project progress. This sheet is open almost around the clock as people are constantly entering information into this sheet.

I then have a PowerPoint presentation which links to this Excel file and grabs some graphs from it and then displays this PowerPoint on loop in our work area.

I have it set up such that the links automatically update everytime the presentation loops back to the first slide. THE PROBLEM IS...because the excel sheet is open, when the PowerPoint attempts to grab information from the excel sheet it pops up a message telling me that the Excel sheet is open (by someone on my team entering progress results), and that I have to click "Read-Only" or "Notify" or "Cancel". If I click "Read-Only", the data does update properly. HOWEVER, I just want it to ALWAYS open the excel file in Read-Only when grabbing the data so that this spreadsheet can loop continuously without me having to ever touch the presentation.

I'm thinking I may have to write some VB to make this happen. But even any guidance you could give me on that would be extremely helpful.

Any advice?

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
I'm having this exact same issue right now. Can anyone help? I've found a few tools and I think I'm on the right track but it doesn't seem completely straightforward.

I've got the Update Links add-in from (http://skp.mvps.org/updtlinks.htm) as well as the AutoEvents add-in from (http://skp.mvps.org/autoevents.htm). Within a standard module I've created the following code that I thought would prevent the pop-up described above.
Code:
Sub Auto_Open()

Application.DisplayAlerts = False

End Sub

Sub Auto_Close()

Application.DisplayAlerts = True

End Sub

I still get the alert just the same as I did before. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Upvote 0
I posted this late on a Friday which typically isn't a great time to post as it's usually buried by Monday.... my apologies for bumping the thread.

Upvote 0
I hate seeing bumped threads as much as the rest of you, but I'm finding it hard to believe no one has responded with a suggestion.

This powerpoint presentation is displayed on several monitors throughout the factory and it's rather tedious to DameWare (remote connect) into each pc and click that Read-Only button to get the slideshow resumed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back