how to search entire workbook

This is a discussion on how to search entire workbook within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; how does one search for something in the entire workbook? if i have 10 different worksheets i dont want to ...

Board Regular

Default how to search entire workbook

how does one search for something in the entire workbook? if i have 10 different worksheets i dont want to have to search for them individually.

also, sometimes there are numbers that are a result of formulas, which dont seem searchable. how do you fix that? e.g. if a cell has "+5+2" in it, if I search for 7 I wont find that cell. is there any way to fix that?

as an aside, it'd be great if i could see more recently worked on books. when i goto the file menu, i see the last 4 worked on files. can i change this to 5 or 10?

thanks!

Board Regular

Default how to search entire workbook

I don't seem to be able to post screen shots, but when you select the search feature, click on the OPTIONS button (above the CLOSE button in version 2003), this gives you additional options that allow you to search through the entire workbook (instead of the active sheet) and search for items in values rather than formula's

Board Regular

Default Re: how to search entire workbook

how does one search for something in the entire workbook? if i have 10 different worksheets i dont want to have to search for them individually.
    Assuming you're using the search box, (Ctrl F) click options, then change 'Within' from Sheet to Workbook.

also, sometimes there are numbers that are a result of formulas, which dont seem searchable. how do you fix that? e.g. if a cell has "+5+2" in it, if I search for 7 I wont find that cell. is there any way to fix that?
    As above, change 'Look In' from Formulas to Values

as an aside, it'd be great if i could see more recently worked on books. when i goto the file menu, i see the last 4 worked on files. can i change this to 5 or 10?
    Which version of excel?

With excel 2007 I have 20 in that list.

Office Button > Excel options > Advanced > Display > Show this number of recent documents.

Don't know if older versions have the same option.

Board Regular

Default Re: how to search entire workbook

got it, thanks fellas!

i use 2003.

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others