combine multiple rows into one row

javalover

Board Regular
I have a directory of company names with multiple contacts. Currently it has one row per contact. Each company has a different amount of contacts. I need there to be only ONE row per company name, moving the contacts up to multiple columns.

Currently:
ABC Company, John Smith, President
ABC Company, Ted Wilson, VP
ABC Company, William Nelson, IT
NBC Company, Scott Jones, CEO
NBC Company, Jeff Anderson, CFO

Needs to be:
ABC Company, John Smith, President, Ted Wilson, VP, William Nelson, IT
NBC Company, Scott Jones, CEO, Jeff Anderson, CFO

Any ideas? (no code, please)
Thanks!

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
This is one way, but most likely there are many more elegant ways. I'm assuming that the name and title need to be concatenated into one cell.

- Create a unique list of the company names (easiest would be to use the advance data filter with unique filters) in a new sheet, say these are in A2:A10 for discussions sake.

- Have a column that counts how many entries there are for each company; I'd use this for the first row, but replace "list" with the column from the underlying data that houses the company name: {=sum(--("list"=$A2))}
and fill down, make sure list is row anchored.

- Determine what the max number of entries are and create "0 to max-1" column headers to the right of the company counter column

=if(F$1<"counter",OFFSET(INDEX("list of names",MATCH($A2,"list",0)),F$1,0)&", "&OFFSET(INDEX("list of titles",MATCH($A2,"list",0)),F$1,0),"")

F$1 is the first counter columns, make sure all "lists" are row and column anchored, and make sure the counter is column anchored

Fill down

Sorry if I didn't articulate this clearly

Upvote 0
thanks for the link. somehow, I'm missing something. I changed the "8" in the formula to the amount of rows I have. It only grabbed one contact per row. I'm assuming I needed to populate column F ahead of time by removing duplicates from column A and then entering the array into column G. Can the array be copied all the way down?

scratching my head...please help. Thanks!

Upvote 0
old relia23: I replaced four different "8's" in the formula, from the link provided by Robt Mika's reply, with the number of rows I have.

I will attempt your solution a bit later today, when I have more time. thanks for your help!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back