Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Excel 2010 "Save As" Freezing Problem - Hidden Dialogue Box

This is a discussion on Excel 2010 "Save As" Freezing Problem - Hidden Dialogue Box within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Hello to MrExcel forum, This is my first post here, I read all the rules and tips and hope I ...

Default Excel 2010 "Save As" Freezing Problem - Hidden Dialogue Box

Hello to MrExcel forum,

This is my first post here, I read all the rules and tips and hope I manage to make my first post without breaking any rules - if I do - please forgive my beginner's mistakes!

I have an interesting problem with Excel 2010. I found only one mention of this in the Internet - but unfortunately - no solution yet.

This is what happens: A user has an excel 2010 document open (can be more than one too). He modifies the document (or writes a new document) and tries to do a "save as" - but - once this is tried, excel freezes and doesn't let you do anything else other than kill the process (thus losing all data!).

After investigating a lot, the problem was found (but not the solution): What happens is that the "save as" dialogue box HIDES UNDER/BEHIND the excel document and since this dialogue box is the active window, you can't do anything to your document until you reach that active window (which we can't reach because it hidden UNDER the excel doc).

A way to get to the dialogue box is: if you show all open windows side by side (not sure how this is called), it usually gives access to the dialog box - but not always.

In the experts exchange, there was someone suggesting to disable graphics hardware acceleration within excel - but it was not useful either.

Do you have any ideas about how to solve this problem? Have you heard about this before?

BTW - I read in your rules something about "cross-posting" - I am not sure I understand what you mean by that, in case the meaning is if I asked the same question in another forum, then the answer is yes and here is the link: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...&page=2#footer

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dr.Crazy

MrExcel MVP

Default Re: Excel 2010 "Save As" Freezing Problem - Hidden Dialogue Box

Welcome to MrExcel.

Do you have PowerPivot installed?

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...6-569d29a4debb
    Microsoft MVP - Excel

Hello Andrew Poulsom,

Thank you for the welcome and quick reply.

I read that thread that you mentioned, but it is not my case. The Save As box does appear - the problem is where it appears. It goes behind the excel document and as a result, you can't reach it.

Have you heard of this problem before? As I mentioned, I saw only one person having the same issue (in the link that I provided in my first post).

Thanks.

Dr.Crazy

try to replace
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\GKExcel.dll

I have this same issue with 3 of 100 Win7 users. They open an excel file, try to format a cell or a number of cells and the dialogue box doesn't show up. At first they thought they were frozen but somehow managed to figure out that if they go into outlook and minimize outlook, the box appears once outlook has minimized and they can continue on with formatting the cells(s).
    I have uninstalled office, reinstalled, built a new image on a different machine...so it kind of points to the files themselves because it continues to happen to the same people even after I've replaced their machines. Trouble is though if I send a document to myself that causes them issues, it doesn't cause me issues...
    I will try replacing the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office14\GKExcel.dll as was suggested last in this thread and see how that goes.
    Thanks

Board Regular

I've experienced the same problem and I don't have access to the DLL, this is a work machine. Is there any VBA available that could move the dialog to the front? Anyone have any vba that grabs and/or positions existing dialog boxes?

Why isn't there but a handfull of people experiencing this when I've already experienced it on 3 separate machines?

kgs

I am experiencing the same frustrating thing. W7 Office 2010.

Ridiculously annoying.

Colleagues are having the same issue.

kgs

Don't know if either if these is causal but after I:

Closed out of Outlook that had a huge amount of emails open
    and
    Closed out of VBA Window

then I could use the dialog box for Save As

Board Regular

I didn't have the vba editor window open, but I believe I did have outlook open. Next time it happens I will close outlook and try to save again.

MrExcel MVP

I suspect that it's caused by an Outlook Add-In.
    Microsoft MVP - Excel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others