Inverted Comma's

Soemesh

Hi,
I would like to use inverted comma in If error find function. Typically I would like to check the word that contains double inverted comma by using if find function. When I tried like this - """, it was not identifying the inverted comma's in that word, eventhough it is present. Please suggest any ideas!!

Regards
Soemesh.

Excel Facts

Format cells as date
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+3 to format cells as date. (Shift 3 is the # sign which sort of looks like a small calendar).
(a) Welcome to the board
(b) If your post is in English, please post in the main forum. The "Other Languages" forum is only for posts in non-English languages.
(c) You can utilize the codes for the character you seek, i.e.

=ISNUMBER(FIND(CHAR(148),A1))

will tell you if A1 contains the "double-9" double quote

=ISNUMBER(FIND(CHAR(147),A1))

will check for the "double-6" double quote.

Upvote 0
Hi Greg,
Thanks for the reply.
I am not clear on CHAR(148) or CHAR(147), is the 148 / 147 means inverted comma's? Please clarify!

Regards
Soemesh.

Upvote 0
Yes, the CHAR() function returns a text character based on it's numeric code. For example CHAR(65) would return an "A". The codes for the "fancy quotation marks" are
147 for aka "double-6 quotes"
and 148 for aka "double-9 quotes"

Upvote 0
Hi Greg,
I have tried with your suggestion by using CHAR(147) or (148), it did not find this character " in that particular name.
I am using this If function to find : =IF(D10="","",FIND("&",D10)>0), let how do I proceed by using this logic. I need to use " instead of & in the above logic.
Modified the above logic like this: =IF(D10="","",FIND("(CHAR(147))",D10)>0), it did not work, please let me know your suggestion on this logic. Since i am using the same logic for all other symbols, I am not able to change if logic as you suggested.
Regards
vasanth.

Upvote 0
You can try:
Copy the character you are interested (with your mouse)
Paste it into cell A1
in B1 type the formula: =CODE(A1)
If you are lucky this will tell you the code for the character.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I have tried to get the codes for symbol and I got the codes, but the logic does not seem to be working! any suggestion
Regards
Soemesh.

Upvote 0
I am using this If function to find : =IF(D10="","",FIND("&",D10)>0), let how do I proceed by using this logic. I need to use " instead of & in the above logic.
I think you might be looking for this...

=IF(D10="","",FIND("""",D10)>0)

Note that there are 4 quote marks (what you are calling double inverted commas) as the first argument in the FIND function, not 3. Because quote marks are used delineate a text constant for Excel, you cannot use a single quote mark by itself inside a set of quote marks because it confuses Excel as to where the constant text begins and ends. Excel uses 2 quote marks next to each other inside the quote marks delimiting the text constant for each single quote mark that should end up in the text constant.

See if this makes it clearer. Put this formula inside a cell...

="This is a quote mark "" inside other text"

See the two quote marks next to each other in the formula? Look what happens to them in the cell... they become a single quote mark. Now lets show you why you needed 4 quote marks in that FIND function. First, remove the text constant part after the internal double quote marks to get this formula...

="This is a quote mark """

Now look at the cell with this formula... those 3 ending quote marks are actually 2 internal quote marks and the last one is the quote mark delineating the text constant. Okay, now remove the text constant in front of the double quote marks...

=""""

Now the cell displays a single quote mark. That is where the 4 quote marks come from in the FIND function... two internal ones for the single quote mark to be outputted and two surrounding it to mark a text constant.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alrossman

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back