Popup reminder message three days before due date

livanga

hello Guru
my boss wants to have a reminder tool for air ticket and accomodation that can popup the reminder message 3 days before the due date and atlest two times a day.

the excel workbook has two sheets the reminder has to be set in the second sheet which has ten columns as showns below. i know the forums is full of guru so please help<TABLE style="WIDTH: 989pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=1317><COLGROUP><COL style="WIDTH: 48pt" width=64><COL style="WIDTH: 97pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 4717" span=2 width=129><COL style="WIDTH: 80pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 3913" width=107><COL style="WIDTH: 124pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 6034" width=165><COL style="WIDTH: 112pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5449" width=149><COL style="WIDTH: 110pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5376" width=147><COL style="WIDTH: 56pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 2706" width=74><COL style="WIDTH: 150pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 7314" width=200><COL style="WIDTH: 115pt; mso-width-source: userset; mso-width-alt: 5595" width=153><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 42pt" height=56><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #538ed5; WIDTH: 48pt; HEIGHT: 42pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 height=56 width=64>Date</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #538ed5; WIDTH: 97pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 width=129>Requestor</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #538ed5; WIDTH: 97pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 width=129>Expire Date</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #538ed5; WIDTH: 80pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 width=107>DSPN</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #538ed5; WIDTH: 124pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 width=165>Traveller's name </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #538ed5; WIDTH: 112pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 width=149>Hotel booked </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #538ed5; WIDTH: 110pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 width=147>Confirmation #</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #538ed5; WIDTH: 56pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 width=74>LPO #</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #538ed5; WIDTH: 150pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl64 width=200>confirmed used/unused </TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #538ed5; WIDTH: 115pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 0.5pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 0.5pt solid" class=xl63 width=153>recommendation </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Hello Livanga,

I'm only learning excel, but hopefully a guru will pop in later!

I don't know yet how to make reminder pop-up messages, but I can make this nifty if statement that will show a message in a cell when the ticket is about to expire. You could maybe change the font to bold and red if you want to make it stand out more.

=IF(A1<=TODAY()+3,A1-TODAY()&" days left!","")

Just change A1 to wherever the expiry date is =)

Upvote 0
With some VBA it could look like this, in a regular module put this.

Code:
Sub popup()
Dim lstRow As Long
Dim i As Long
Dim msg As String
msg = "The following items are almost due" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf
lstRow = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
For i = 2 To lstRow
    If Range("A" & i) - Date <= 3 Or Range("A" & i) - Date < 0 Then
        msg = msg & Range("B" & i).Value & " due in " & Range("A" & i) - Date & " Days" & vbCrLf
    End If
Next i
MsgBox msg
Call settimer
End Sub

Sub settimer()
Application.OnTime Now + TimeValue("02:00:00"), "popup"
End Sub

then in the ThisWorkbook module put this

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_Open()
Call popup
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanx dave3009. i copied all the codes to vb and workbook as you instructed that was fine. if i click on run macro in excel i get the error message. CANT EXECUTE CODE IN BREAK MODE

Please help again am more into IT issue and non in Programming

and am using office 2007 in win 7 Pro as well

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That error means you are in break mode in the VBE, you need to press the reset button.

Upvote 0
Code:
[LEFT][COLOR=#333333]lstRow = Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
[/COLOR][COLOR=#333333]For i = 2 To lstRow[/COLOR][/LEFT]
Hi dave can you explain the function of this code? since i try to modify your code then implement to my worksheet but seems that i have problem regarding the row. please kindly help me out.Thanks

Upvote 0
i keep getting runtime error 13 message. i think because of this code,anyone can help?

Upvote 0
That code finds the last row then starts a loop running from row 2 to the last row. I cannot see how a runtime 13 error could be caused by that, unless there is no data whatsoever in column A

Upvote 0
anyone can help me to explain this?

Perhaps as you are using 2007 you need t qualify the ranges to the worksheet. Hope Dave3009 does not mind but I have changed his code a little for you to try & see if helps. You will need to change worksheet name to sheet name you are reffering to.

Dave

Sub popup()
Dim lstRow As Long
Dim i As Long
Dim msg As String
Dim ws As Worksheet
Set ws = ThisWorkbook.Worksheets("Sheet1") '<CHANGE as name required
rename as required

With ws
msg = "The following items are almost due" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf
lstRow = .Cells(.Rows.Count, "A").End(xlUp).Row
For i = 2 To lstRow
If .Range("A" & i) - Date <= 3 Or .Range("A" & i) - Date < 0 Then
msg = msg & .Range("B" & i).Value & " due in " & .Range("A" & i) - Date & " Days" & vbCrLf
End If
Next i
End With
MsgBox msg
Call settimer
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back