If/Then formula to change cell color

tinkerbell737

Board Regular
I want to know if it's possible to use an If/Then formula to change a cell's color? Even changing the text color would be cool.

I have two worksheets in the same spreadsheet. The first one is a complete list of names and the second is a list of names in a particular group.

I want to say IF this person belongs to the group on worksheet2, then highlight the cell with their name on worksheet1.

Can this be done?

ALTERNATELY, I would be happy with a remark in another column that indicates that the person is part of the group.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
If A1 is your cell to be formatted and tbl1 = the range name of your lookup table, then select A1, choose FORMAT, CONDITIONAL FORMATTING from the menu, for condition 1 choose Formula is... and enter =VLOOKUP(A1,tbl1,1, false)=A1

Upvote 0
change a color of a cell

hi
i have a drop list and i want if "X" is choosed from the drop list, the color of an other cell in an other sheet will be changed
anyone can help me in this?
thank u

Upvote 0
Re: change a color of a cell

Tinkerbell:
You will have to assign a "Name" to your list on Sheet2. (say myRange)
Now in CF, Formula Is
Code:
=MATCH(A1,myRange,0)
You need the "Name" because CF will not work with Defined Ranges across sheets.

wolves: The same logic applies to your question
lenze

Upvote 0
lock a cell

Dear Sir
sorry for bothering you again
but i would ask how :
if i have the same two table in a different sheet
and when A1 (in the 1st sheet)=X from a drop down list the A1 in the second sheet will be unlocked.
how can apply this on all the cell of the table?
Regards and many thanks in advance

Upvote 0
Re: lock a cell

wolves: This is really a different question from "Conditional Formatting" I suggest you start a new thread with an appropriate title regarding your requirements.This will, probably require VBA!! Is that an option?

lenze

Upvote 0
HEy I am tring to do the same thing . . but dirrerent! IF a cell is greater than 0 I want it to change color. is that possable?

Upvote 0
i know

dear mr lenze
i know that it is a different subject
and sorry for not changing the title coz im a little confused about my prb.

can u help in this even through vba?

Upvote 0
I want to know if it's possible to use an If/Then formula to change a cell's color? Even changing the text color would be cool.

I have two worksheets in the same spreadsheet. The first one is a complete list of names and the second is a list of names in a particular group.

I want to say IF this person belongs to the group on worksheet2, then highlight the cell with their name on worksheet1.

Can this be done?

ALTERNATELY, I would be happy with a remark in another column that indicates that the person is part of the group.
I have a similar problem to this but a little different. I have 1 sheet in a workbook that lists all stores by number and a 2nd sheet in the same workbook that lists only stores that received a particular item. I want only the stores that appear in sheet 2 to have an "X" in the appropriate column of sheet 1 for that store. How do I do this? I tried the vlookup formula you gave in this thread and it won't work? Thanks!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BatCoder

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back