Excel AutoFill Default

jarens

Excel defaults to filling a series with the autofill. I put 1 in cell a1 and autofill down it goes to 2,3,4,5...
How do I change the default so it stays 1 all the way down?

I know to use CTRL/click/drag to copy.

What I am asking is if the default can be changed so that clicking and dragging produces a copy; CTRL/click/drag produces the series.

Thanks!

Right - I have been asking here on this site about it for over 6 years and no one can get the default to change on command. I just use the double click and let it fill down with a series and then I just hit CONTROL + D and that fixes the data. It's the only solution I have found that always works and is very fast and easy without adding more mouse clicks. Just keep your left hand over the CONTROL + D keys ready whenever you do a FILL : Your right hand clicks the little black spec, the data populates down in a series , and then your right hand hits the CONTROL + D keys, and the data is corrected. That's it. Fastest way I know around it without creating a mouse macro (and I already have way too many of those).

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
1. if in cell A1 is 1. Double click will do a copy-cells all row is 1
2. if in cell A1 is 1, cell A2 is 2, cell A3 is 3 AND SELECTED THAT THREE CELLS, Double click will do a auto-fill series
3. if in cell A1 is 1, Right-click-Drag- will popup option for the Option (copy-cells or auto-fill or even can set the step...)

Hope this help :)

Upvote 0
Duh! I'm so sorry, I just figured out the answer as soon as I posted this! If I hold down the CTRL key when my mouse cursor is over the fill handle, til I see the little plus sign, then it will copy the cell contents, rather than filling a series. :D
Just wanted to say thanks.
This helped me out a lot :)

Upvote 0
Excel defaults to filling a series with the autofill. I put 1 in cell a1 and autofill down it goes to 2,3,4,5...
How do I change the default so it stays 1 all the way down?

I know to use CTRL/click/drag to copy.

What I am asking is if the default can be changed so that clicking and dragging produces a copy; CTRL/click/drag produces the series.

Thanks!

Ok so I dont know if this will help you, I ran into this problem doing tracking for my company. What i found out is if the cell you are working in is in format text it will fill in series... but if you change it to general it will copy

Upvote 0
Ok so I dont know if this will help you, I ran into this problem doing tracking for my company. What i found out is if the cell you are working in is in format text it will fill in series... but if you change it to general it will copy

I just happen to stumble on this old thread and was surprised that no one had an answer for the poor lad... For 6 years he had waited for an answer... Wow.. So hats off to you fine sir - for your answer is correct. It all depends on the cells format.

Upvote 0
Its surprising this thread was started in 2003 and still no effective resolution was posted up until now. I have found one and works for me.
So the issue is that we want to default the auto-fill settings on double click so it copies the above cells rather than 'fill series', and avoid the extra step of selecting 'copy only' after.

Here's the solution:
So the auto-fill defaults to 'copy only' if some kind of filter is ON. So for this, you put just a digit '1' at the end of your data at the bottom, then turn filter on, and unselect '1' to filter. This way, you will still have all the data you are working on, but have the filter on. After this, the auto-fill used with a double click will default to copy. Once completed you can turn off the filter if not needed and delete the extra '1' you typed.

Hope this helps. If not, message me and I will post a video or some pictures.

Upvote 0
The CTRL key is nice, but is there still not a way to change the default so it is always 'copy cells'??

Upvote 0
Xoaib's solution worked for me. Thank you. I've given up looking for a way to default the "copy cells".

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
test111

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back