Collapse rows under a heading

simopie

Hi,

I've trying to build a reporting system in Excel, so that a list of client names is expandable. Once you click on a Client name (Simiar to clicking a parent folder in windows) then a list of projects/jobs is displayed in the next column, and when a project/list is selected, then the detail of that project/job is displayed. the trouble is, when i create a group, when it is collapsed, the first row dissapears from view with it. Is there any way so that when a group is collapsed, the first row stays visible?

Excel Facts

Convert text numbers to real numbers
Select a column containing text numbers. Press Alt+D E F to quickly convert text to numbers. Faster than "Convert to Number"
It's 2010 that I'm trying to use.
freeze row only works if it's one row your trying to keep visible.
What I'm trying to achieve is a list of Clients, where you click a + sign next to each client and a list of jobs appears, and you can click a + sign next to each job and the components to each job appear.
Similar in the way you expand and collapse groups to if you were viewing folders in windows explorer.

Upvote 0
You want to use something called TreeView.

Which expands and collapes.

This can only be achieved via VBA check this link out

http://www.excelguru.ca/node/85

The alternative would be to consider Pivot Tables with Groupings.

Upvote 0
No promises, but it might help if we knew a bit more about how your data is laid out. Any chance of a small set of dummy data? See my signature block for screen shot methods.

Upvote 0
Hi there, this is probably way too late of a reply, but I was looking for the same solution and found it.

In Excel 2010, click on the data tab, then click on the tiny arrow in the bottom right hand corner of the "Outline" group. A Settings pop-up window will appear, uncheck the "summary row below detail" selection, and click "OK". You should be all set.

Upvote 0
Hi there, this is probably way too late of a reply, but I was looking for the same solution and found it.

In Excel 2010, click on the data tab, then click on the tiny arrow in the bottom right hand corner of the "Outline" group. A Settings pop-up window will appear, uncheck the "summary row below detail" selection, and click "OK". You should be all set.

Oh, great. This is what I was looking for today!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiguekHeka

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back