Copying a formula in a column while keeping one cell a fixed value

mtnfisherman63

I'm trying to duplicate a formula from one cell to all the remaining cells below. I want one cell to remain a constant fixed value in the next cell with the formula using the adjoining cell. The adjoining cell needs to increase in the next cell with one value remaining constant. I know there is an easy way to do this and has probably been covered.
Thank you

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
I'm trying to duplicate a formula from one cell to all the remaining cells below. I want one cell to remain a constant fixed value in the next cell with the formula using the adjoining cell. The adjoining cell needs to increase in the next cell with one value remaining constant. I know there is an easy way to do this and has probably been covered.
Thank you
Post the formula.

Upvote 0
=AG5/I2
the value at I2 needs to remain constant while the value of AG5 needs to increase by 1. This needs to repeat the entire column.

Upvote 0
=AG5/I2
the value at I2 needs to remain constant while the value of AG5 needs to increase by 1. This needs to repeat the entire column.
Try this...

=AG5/I$2

The dollar sign will keep the row number constant as the formula is copied down a column.

You can do the same thing with the column letter:

=AG5/$I2

The dollar sign will keep the column letter constant as the formula is copied across a row.

You can use any combination as is needed depending on how you want to copy the formula:

=AG5/I2
=$AG$5/$I$2
=$AG5/$I2
=AG$5/I$2
=AG$5/$I2
=$AG5/I$2

This is known as absolute and relative cell referencing. The dollar sign makes that row/column absolute. When the dollar sign is absent then that row/column reference is relative.

Upvote 0
Thank-you so much T. Valko for stopping the anguish of not being able to figure this out and not finding anything on the internet until reading your post. I have never signed up for a forum site but had to just to thank-you for the help

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ajax40

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back