divide a column by another column

This is a discussion on divide a column by another column within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; I'm trying to create a formula to allow me to take column B and divide by column C. I need ...

Default divide a column by another column

I'm trying to create a formula to allow me to take column B and divide by column C. I need to have the answers by each row, and can't find a way other than going by each row invidually. If this is possible please help. I have 3 worksheets with over 11,000 rows each and doing them individually will break my heart!

Board Regular

Default Re: divide a column by another column

If I understand correctly, you simply want to divide one a cell in one column by a cell in another and duplicate down the sheet. =B1/C1. Then use the auto fill function. Move the mouse to the lower right hand corner of the result cell where the small box is, and drag the formula down the page. (or just double click) Unless I misunderstood what you wanted, it is as simple as that. Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by workingrl
    I'm trying to create a formula to allow me to take column B and divide by column C. I need to have the answers by each row, and can't find a way other than going by each row invidually. If this is possible please help. I have 3 worksheets with over 11,000 rows each and doing them individually will break my heart!
    You want to sum coulmn B and divide by the sum of column C? What do you mean 11000 rows if you're dividing columns?

Thanks gnrboyd, that's exactly what I needed!

Board Regular

No problem. Glad to help.

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others