Automatically open a file whenever Excel opens

This is a discussion on Automatically open a file whenever Excel opens within the Excel Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Is there a way to make a file automatically open whenever you open Excel? Preferably in the background similar to ...

Board Regular

Default Automatically open a file whenever Excel opens

Is there a way to make a file automatically open whenever you open Excel? Preferably in the background similar to the way personal.xls opens when Excel opens.
    Smooth seas do not make skilled sailors.

Default Re: Automatically open a file whenever Excel opens

Yes. Save the file in the XL Startup Directory, normally located in a path similar to this one...

C:\ProgramFiles\MSOffice\Office97\Excel\XLStart

This will load the file each time XL opens. Now to get it to be hidden there are a few different ways. One, you could use a Workbook_Open code to hide the workbook as it opens. Two, hide the workbook (goto Window|Hide), then open the VBE (ALT+F11), and find the workbook in the project list. Now goto File|Save and this workbook will now be saved hidden. Therefor everytime it is opened it will not be shown as active.

You're going to laugh since your post is 9 years old, but I used your solution today. Thank you!

I am using this solution today! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by TommyGun View Post
    Yes. Save the file in the XL Startup Directory, normally located in a path similar to this one...

C:\ProgramFiles\MSOffice\Office97\Excel\XLStart

This will load the file each time XL opens. Now to get it to be hidden there are a few different ways. One, you could use a Workbook_Open code to hide the workbook as it opens. Two, hide the workbook (goto Window|Hide), then open the VBE (ALT+F11), and find the workbook in the project list. Now goto File|Save and this workbook will now be saved hidden. Therefor everytime it is opened it will not be shown as active.

What if the file I would like opened automatically is saved out on a networked drive and has to stay at that location? Can I put a shortcut in that file and have it work the same way?

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others